Chapter 6

Fifteen minutes later, Java was in the hospital, soaked to the bone, and at the front desk, asking for Dr. Tom.

"What is the nature of your visit, miss?" the hospital attendee said, handing her a towel. The name plate on her desk read Delores Dalmatian.

"Thank you," Java said, accepting the towel and beginning to dry herself off. Java couldn't very well confess that she was here on a hunch that her superpowers were getting more advanced and diverse, so she said the only thing that came to mind. "There's been a development since my lightning strike accident. My name is Java. Dr. Tom told me to contact him if I experienced any unusual side effects."

"And what sort of side effects are we talking about?" Delores had retrieved a pad and pen from her desk and was about to begin recording Java's words when she spoke up.

"That won't be necessary," she said, handing Delores the damp towel. "This is sort of a doctor-patient confidentiality thing; besides, it's a little too personal to go into much detail."

Delores looked disappointed, as if she had been robbed of the opportunity to prove how well she could do her job.

"Could you please just page him?" Java said. "I need to speak to him as soon as possible."

"Fine, miss," Delores said. "Hope everything turns out okay for you." She punched the Page button on the phone sitting in front of her and began speaking. "Paging Dr. Tom to the front desk. Dr. Tom, there's a Miss Java at front desk to see you." Her voice emitted from the overhead speakers in a slightly muffled, static tone. She pushed the Page button again, disconnecting the call. "Now, if you'll just take a seat, Miss Java, Dr. Tom will be right out to see you."

Java didn't want to take a seat, and she didn't want to wait. She was tired of waiting, in fact; tired of her questions going on unanswered and more questions continuing to crop up; but, mostly, she was tired of the fear that continued to plague her peace of mind on rainy days like today.

Luckily for her, she didn't have to wait very long. About two minutes later, Dr. Tom came through the Employees Only double doors, looking for Java. Having spotted her, he walked to meet her where she sat near the front desk.

"Java, I hope everything's okay. I came as soon as I heard your name mentioned on the intercom." He seemed sincere enough to Java, and he had arrived much quicker than she anticipated. Perhaps she could trust him with her secrets. He was now officially her doctor, after all.

"Well, I won't say that everything's okay exactly," she said. "You remember what you told me about contacting you should I notice any side effects from my accident?"

Dr. Tom's eyes widened. "Yes," he said.

"Well..." Java paused, trying to find a way to tell him. "A couple side effects have shown up."

"Say no more," Dr. Tom said discreetly. "Follow me to my office."

***

Dr. Tom's office was dimly lit, with a solitary green shaded lamp atop his immaculately clean desk giving out the only light in the room. Behind the desk, various certificates of accomplishment in the medical field hung, as well as family photos of his wife and kittens. Hanging on the back wall, vibrant with colors, was a painting of a vast open field with a solitary aged barn. Various plants were posted in the corners of the office to convey a more inviting atmosphere.

As Dr. Tom sat behind the desk, Java sat down across from him in one of the plush pillows that had been reserved for his clients.

"Now, tell me, Java, what sort of side effects have been manifesting since your accident? I want to know everything."