Chapter 4

She was finally free. Moments before she had walked out of the hospital elevators, through the automatic doors, and into the open world. Fresh air and sunshine, no more hospital walls to confine her, just complete and total freedom. Now the question was what to do with it?

A growl issued from below, one she recognized as her famished stomach. Java blocked the sun with her paw. According to its position in the sky, it would be around lunchtime right now. To Java, lunch sounded like as good a plan as any; and besides, what better way to celebrate her release than to head back to the cafe for a signature catnippuccino and a treat from the bakery display.

The cafe!

In all her excitement she had forgotten about the new arrangement with Twitchy and Dach filling in. She knew she should check in at home, but she also knew that with those two in charge there was no telling what kind of chaos could be happening right now. The thought finalized her decision, and she headed in the direction of the cafe.

When she neared the town crosswalk, Java inhaled a deep breath and closed her eyes to take in the scents. The rain from the morning before had dissipated and had left a sweet, earthy aroma in its wake. Upon opening her eyes, the scene before her was much different than it had been yesterday. Not only was the weather much more cooperative, with the sun shining and the air a cool, refreshing temperature, but everyone was back to their normal routines as well. It was like the world that had disappeared the night before had suddenly reappeared with no trace whatsoever of its departure.

Looking skyward, Java saw the catwalk above the city, crowded as ever with various felines making their way through the complex scaffolding of trellises and beams to their daily places of interest; while below, mostly dogs roamed the grass-lined streets, following their noses and paying little to no attention to what was in front of them.

For as long as she could remember it had been this way. Cats strolled along the catwalk to their destinations so as not to conflict with the dogs below—and to avoid being chased. Even though the dogs below were domesticated, cats knew that the wildest instincts they possessed could not be tamed, so it was best for them to keep their distance from dogs; hence, the catwalk was constructed.

It had been a huge undertaking to get everyone in the town on board with the building of the catwalk. Had it not been for Trusty Basset, the town mayor, in his wisdom and compassion for all animals, the project would never have gotten off the ground. Java had been privileged to be a part of the project when the town voted on it, and the decision to build the catwalk was won by a ninety percent vote in favor of decision.

Since then, everyone seemed happier and was able to get along much better. Crime reduced by twenty percent overall, and the town grew even more in population as a result, now that the streets were more negotiable.

Today, however, Java wasn't much for the hustle and bustle of the catwalk. It had nearly grown cramped and overcrowded on its own, and she felt more like a leisurely stroll on the ground where she could be free to stretch her legs and take her time navigating the busy streets through town.

When she reached the location of the building she had been running toward when the lightning had struck her, she stopped at once and her eyes remained glued to the spot on the ground where she remembered passing out. Slowly, cautiously, she edged over to it, forgetting everything else that was going on around her. Her senses were too wrapped up in what she saw as she reached the place where she was struck. When she saw what lay there, a slight gasp escaped her and she nearly dropped her vase of flowers. Setting them down on the ground, she gazed closer at the spot.

The ground was scorched and blackened, and a ring of soot spread outward from the center in spikes, as if a blast had gone off and the eruption had exploded outward in all directions. The center of the blackness was untouched and as green with grass as that which lay beyond the outer rim of the circle. Java realized this was where her body must have been when the bolt of lightning hit her. A chill ran through her fur and she decided she'd seen all she wanted to see.