Epilogue: One Week Later

Re-remodeling on the quaint little town of Kittyville had already begun while Java and Tom took their time recuperating at St. Maryvole's. Fortunately, unlike most of the town, the Catnip Cafe sustained no major damage in the chaos that was becoming known as the storm of the ages. No one living in Kittyville could recollect in recent memory ever having seen one like it, nor the damage it had inflicted.

As it turned out, the Town Hall was also mostly intact. Since Vladimir wouldn't have wanted to harm himself or the building he was in, everyone figured he decided to take it easy on the more than a century old building; and thus, on himself.

The citizens of Kittyville were called together for a town meeting shortly after Java and Tom were released, both with bills of good health. It was advertised to be a very special occasion indeed. The town square was the first to receive the beginnings of restoration in order to be prepared for the gathering.

Thankfully, the weather had been all clear skies and sunshine the following week after the ordeal on the tower; the perfect weather for such an event. Citizens from all around Kittyville came to see what the latest news was about the restorations, as well as to satisfy their curiosities about what the mayor was up to.

On a consecutive bright and sunny afternoon, Trusty Basset approached the podium staged in the center of the platform of stairs leading to the Town Hall entrance. He tapped the windscreened mic that extended just over the podium's slanted top. A booming thump issued forth from the speakers that were set up on either side of the platform.

Clearing his throat, Trusty began. "My fellow citizens of Kittyville, it is with great honor and privilege that I come to you today on this very landmark that represents the best of our little town. The epicenter of all that is great in Kittyville, our very own Town Hall." Roaring applause erupted as everyone rallied to show their support for their beloved town. As it died down, Trusty continued.

"We are all aware of the heinous acts that swept through our town, infecting this very building itself with the verminous Vincent Vladimir, who held it—and Kittyville—hostage, not long after doing the same to our equally victimized neighbors in Dogtown and the Undergrounds. But you see, my dear friends, we were not conquered by such vermin. We were rather delivered from his vicious grasp by a very rare group of animal kind indeed."

Heads turned and murmurs were whispered in the crowd below, as they waited in anticipation for the revelation of those the mayor referred to.

"I have summoned you here today, my fellow citizens—nay, my family—to call upon your generosity and gratitude in helping me thank those responsible for the salvation of our dear home. Would you please do the honors of giving our warmest regards and deepest appreciation to the following, some of our—and your—very own neighbors right here in Kittyville."

As Trusty named off those who had aided Java and Tom in their rescue mission, they all made their way to the makeshift stage, lining up one by one alongside each other behind the podium. The audience obliged Trusty's request, applauding louder than ever as the last of them stood onstage. Trusty reached down behind the podium and came back up with several ribboned medals in his paws.

"As I call your names once again, please come forth and receive this small token of our appreciation for your efforts in defeating one of the vilest enemies Kittyville has ever encountered.

"Twitchy and Dach." The crowed cheered as their very own town deejays stepped forward to receive their medals. "For your wit and ingenuity regarding modern—and outdated—technology and bravery in the face of overwhelming odds." He placed the medals around each of their necks, and they returned to their positions onstage, waving at the cheering crowd below.

"Onyx and Matty, please step forward." Unfamiliar to the crowd, the applause they received was much less exuberant, but nonetheless appreciative. "For the decision to cast away your former lives in favor of serving the greater good. We humbly welcome you to our home, and now yours should you choose to remain." They received their medals and nodded in acceptance of the invitation, returning to their posts afterwards.

"Hershey and Faye." They stepped forward, holding paws and waving to the applauding crowd. Trusty donned them with their medals as he spoke into the mic. "For never failing to report the truth and keeping our town—and our mysterious heroes—abreast of the events in Kittyville as they played out during this dastardly incident."

"June Gray. In honor of your undying devotion to family and to Kittyville, we bestow upon you this medal of our utmost appreciation and gratitude." She bowed to receive the medal and turned to make way for the next recipient.

"Doctor Tom." Applause echoed off the concrete walls of Town Hall as Tom made his way to the podium, a slight but visible limp in his gate. "For stepping in to aid our dear friends—heroes in their own right—and nearly sacrificing yourself for the good of this town, we owe you our undying gratitude. Please accept this medal on behalf of myself and the citizens of Kittyville."

One more honoree remained to be summoned. "And last, but certainly not least, we the town of Kittyville honor a second generation citizen who, like her father before her, has shown tremendous will, courage, and loyalty to her beloved town; thus, making it possible for us all to sleep in our beds much safer tonight because of her recent noble actions. I present to you Java Gray!"

Uproarious applause issued forth from the crowd as they gave a standing ovation. Their hero had arrived, even though they hadn't a clue as to the truth of her superhero status. To them, she was their mascot now, a symbol of hope and inspiration.

She hadn't noticed before from behind the podium where she had stood earlier, but now that the crowd was on their feet she could see her trademark to-go coffee cups as they were all lifted in unison, torches of support gleaming in the afternoon sun.

The only thing she could think of was how proud her father would have been to see her now.

"Java Gray, in regards to your bravery mentioned before, I cannot expect these tokens to be sufficient enough to repay you for all you've done for our town. Please accept this Medal of Honor—and these keys to Kittyville—as a token of our undying appreciation, gratitude, and devotion to your contributions as well as your father's contributions to Kittyville. You and he will forever be in our hearts."

Trusty placed the medal over her neck and the makeshift keys in her hands. They exchanged an affectionate hug together, and Java returned to her place alongside her friends.

She looked around at each of them, taking in just what they meant to her—and to the audience below, who were still standing on their feet, the applause growing to its loudest peak yet. They may have been an odd bunch of misfits, but they were her misfits. They were her team. And she couldn't think of anyone else she'd rather have by her side.

Vladimir was locked up in the Pound, but evil was still out there, in all shapes and sizes, free to roam and to terrorize those in its wake. As for Java—JAVA'S SUPERHERO NAME—and her new team of heroes, they would be ready for it when it came.

THE END

I hope you've enjoyed reading Kitty Hero Chronicles as much as I've enjoyed writing it! Hopefully by the time you read this I will have already begun on editing it, so it would be wonderful to hear your thoughts, opinions, questions, suggestions in the comments below, as I'm always looking to improve my craft.