Chapter 9 - Burning Flames or Paradise

Aaron Parker

Goliad City, Texas

Present day

       "Sup Aaron." John called out to me from across the hall.

        "Hey," I reply lacklusterly. Ever since he started dating Bella, we've rarely seen each other. He is always with Bella or I am with Hayleigh    .

        "So I heard you going out with Hayleigh," said John. I noticed his gaze was focused at the ceiling and his left foot was tapping. Was he nervous about something?

        "Eh, not really," I lie. We've already been out five times. "She asked me out and I said yes, but we haven't really decided where we are going." The truth is  I don't really like her that much I just don't want to be the only one without a girlfriend while John is mooching on Bella.

        "Great! Double date tonight. You and Hayleigh plus me and Bella."

        "Wait, didn't you use to date Hayleigh? Wait of course you did, who haven't you dated in this school."

        "Well, you for start," winked John. "And yeah she should be cool about it by now. Anyway just ask her, Bella has already agreed to go."

        "Ok sure."

        "Great see you tonight."

He jogs off to go find Bella. I decide to go find Hayleigh and ask her. I pull out a black iPhone and text her "where are you?".Twenty seconds later I get a reply. She says she's right behind me.

         "Hey," says a voice. Hayleigh comes up and hooks her arm around mind. "I was only a couple feet behind you for a while didn't you see?"

Damn, she must have heard me talking to John. Well she looks pretty calm maybe she will say yes.

         "So you got any plans for tonight?"

         "You want me to double date with Bella and John? Yeah, I know, I heard from Bella and then from John talking so loud." Hayleigh flashed a quick smile. Damn this girl knows every thing around this school. Yesterday she knew that Frank and Angela were having a fight because Frank mistook Annie for Angela and the day before that she knew that druggy, Phillip Alasio, had been arrested by the police.

          "So your answer?"

Hayleigh paused and made a face. After a while she answered.

          "Sure, why not. See you tonight." She leaned forward and pecked my lip. Her mouth tasted of wax lipstick and cherries.

          "See ya."

Charlotte Crawford (Bella Jordans) POV

       This has to be the most awkward moment in my life.

The double date was originally going to be at the movies but because John had written down the wrong movie times they had decided to get dinner early. John and Charlotte sat idly on one side of the table while Hayleigh and Aaron were vibrantly chatting away on another.

    "Shouldn't the plural of moose be meese? Like with geese?" asked Hayleigh.

    "You're so silly," laughed Aaron.

    "Don't say that! You have to agree I have to point," retorted Hayleigh.

    "Sure," said Aaron. "You are so cute."

        I have never seen Hayleigh like this. Of course I have only known her for like a week but still she is usually very serious, very straightforward. Oh god I think John is trying to make a move on me.