Chapter 11 - Baggage

Aaron Parker

Goliad City, Texas

Present day

        "Aaron wait up," cried John. I raise my head from the water fountain but forget to let og of the button. A blast of icy water hits my face.

        "Shit," I curse. I grab the hem of my shirt and begin dabbing my face. John rushes toward me.

        "Hey man you alright?" he asks.

        "Yeah Im fine," I reply. "Just a bit of water."

        "Not the water," he says slowly. "You fine about you know .... Gina and ... Me kinda stealing Hayleigh."

        "Yeah its all cool," I say quickly. "We went over this yesterday I didn't really like her anyway."

        "Gina or Hayleigh?" Asks John.

I feel the back of my neck stiffen.

        "Hayleigh," I reply quickly. "We were more friends than anything else."

        "What about Gina?"

        "Lets not talk about that."

        "Dude it's been nearly a year. Get over it."

        "Get over her! What the fuck do you think i'm trying to do. Do you think I want to leave the table everytime she comes near? Do you think I enjoy seeing her act so sanctimonious when I'm in pieces? How the fuck would you know you have never been with a girl for more than a month."

It felt good. Yelling, getting it all off my chest. But as I look into John's eyes all I can see is frustration.

        "Whatever dude," he replies as he walks away. I am then left alone in the hall. I decide not to return to the cafeteria, I would have to face John or even Gina again. The bell rings in only 15 minutes so if I just hang here I can wait out lunch. Yeah way to be social Aaron. I lean against the wall and slide down to sit on the floor.

        "Hey," I hear a voice. I look up and see Bella standing over me.

        "Sup," I say with my voice straining. What is she doing here? Did John send her? There is a pause of silence.

        "So your ex just came to our table," she says her voice cracking the awkwardness. I notice that her gaze is toward the floor.

        "Yeah?" I say inquisitively. "What she say?"

        "She was kinda a bitch," she answered. We both give nervous laughs.

        "Well she can be like that," I say. "Hell she is like that all the time."

        "But you loved her didn't you," Bella this times look me in the eye. Her expression is blank, I can barely tell anything from her.

        "Once I did," I reply.

        "You know she asked me if I was your new girlfriend," Bella continues. Damn this is bad. I knew I shouldn't have grabbed Bella's arm when I saw Gina. I don't know what I was thinking it was so spontaneous. God now I look like an even bigger loser.

        "I said yes."  What!? Why would she do that.

        "Wow thanks I guess," I say. "Why?"

She shrugs. "Didn't want to embarrass you in front of your ex, trust me I know how that feels."

        "Thanks," I mumble. Don't get me wrong I really glad that she did that instead of leaving me out to hang but now things are going to be super awkward. "Tell me about him."

        "Who?" Bella immediately jumps as if someone struck her. Her cheeks turn pale and her eyes go big. Damn maybe I shouldn't have asked but I really didn't want to be only one opening up and crying like a pussy.

        "Your ex," I say carefully. "Whoever he was ... he didn't deserve you. I can just tell."

Bella blushes. "Thanks but I really don't want to talk about it. He hurt me but I'm over it."

Charlotte Crawford (Bella Jordans) POV

        How dare he. How dare he try to ask me about my past ... about Mitch! I was just trying to be nice, comforting. Gina ... she may be a bitch but she probably broke Aaron's heart because Aaron is as emotional as a girl. I never thought I could find someone I would pity more than myself.

        "So bell is about to ring," said Charlotte. "We should be heading back."

        "Wait," cried Aaron. He pauses to take a breath. "You free tonight?"

        Well damn. Never thought the kid would have the guts to ask. Oh what the hell, he's not that bad looking and he is one of the most popular guys at the school. Might as well find a replacement for John.

        "Excuse me, are you asking me out?" teased Charlotte.

        "Well according to you and Gina, I already have," said Aaron. He flashed a smile at Charlotte.

        Since when did this kid balls? He looks very attractive when he actually speaks up with some confidence.

        "Alright where we going," asked Charlotte. She twirled her hair in one hand and rested the other on her hip. "But be warned I come with a lot of baggage."