6 - Ordinary

The day started out as nothing but ordinary to Lauren.

It was another weekday and she practically followed through with a routine that was easily becoming tedious. Her day began by her clocking in to the machine that was closest to the chairman's office, where she would greet his secretary, Ida Greene. From there, she would saunter into her own and inhale the freshly cleaned space, and silently thank the college janitors for a job well done.

She'd approach her desk and set her backpack on her office chair, subsequently stripping off her leather jacket and hung it over the backrest. She then would open and turn her laptop computer on; finally ready to begin her day.

Of course, she'd be exchanging pleasantries with students along the way. She was practically a favorite among the faculty and staff.

There was a multitude of duties and responsibilities that her job entailed but twice a year, Lauren would be occupied by the admission process. It was past February 1st and it was then that the barrage of envelopes would cease for the term, the deadline.

Since the beginning of the semester, Lauren had been dealing with the barrage of documents submitted by prospective freshmen considering she doubled as an Admission Specialist. The office of the Admissions Department was right next to hers for convenience and the bulk would be divided among four, including the Lead Admissions Specialist.

Lauren genuinely loved her job and the responsibilities that came with it. While the pandemonium of packets would be nothing but a nuisance to some, she relished it. Somehow, she'd seen those documents personify a human being that she had not met, and yet, knew quite a lot of information about.

Regardless, Lauren was grateful for the checklist they require to ensure all the necessary documents were accounted for. If not, she'd have to notify the applicant and inform them of the missing papers. She would check students' partial GPA, SAT scores, current courses and such but the psychologist took her time assessing their essays.

They were her favorite.

There was just something about a person's writing prose that spoke to her. Apart from the usual necessary information to be included, Lauren could tell if a person was merely gloating or making up for what they lack but she'd been heartbroken for those that doubted themselves that even the way they composed a sentence screamed it. Lauren had always allowed space for compassion for whatever reason that shaped that certain person into who they became.

Being hypercritical was a nuisance to the world, Lauren thought.

As for her daily routine, if there was anything that wasn't dreary, it would be her professional conversations with students that were earnestly seeking her guidance and maybe a little bit of love they couldn't find elsewhere. Each person and their story are unique and even when certain aspects coincide with what most others go through, there will always be an overall disparity.

Albeit masochistic or sadistic, tragedy is beautiful.

There is a new person that emerges after they endured a beating. Some might put up a resistance and persevere, to fight but others merely stand until they are brought to their knees and drenched in agony. Regardless, people change after the battle and a common disaster usually brings souls together, a common understanding.

No one really goes through life unscathed.

It would justify that there is indeed a reason for everything; it's just that, it may not always be a good thing.

Lauren had had a couple of students come in not just to discuss their future plans and options; a lot of times, they go beyond the professional dreams. Students seem to always gravitate to her; she would even be awarded with stories that most people deem uncomfortable to share with most everyone.