20 - Fume

***NEW COVER by SLOTHTATO the wise child. I will change it in about a week to avoid confusion. Thank you sooooo much, my friend. I will reply to our very long conversation after i recover from my stupid headache. ALSO, this chapter is short and horrible. I hate it. 7816 words. 
-

Change is a lot of things in varied circumstances; devastating or mild, sudden or gradual. At times, it is unwelcomed, anticipated...craved by the desperate.

In Lauren's case, nearly unfathomable.

When things were looking bleak and when all hope had been lost, came the emergence of something spectacular – to a degree.

That was the Lauren's first thought when Camila gracefully let herself in her office for the third time in a row first thing on Friday, the day before spring break.

Just like Wednesday morning, Camila approached her with that alluring closed-lip smile that creased the corners of her mouth, greeted her with the softest kiss and settled in her adjacent room like it was a routine perfected through the years.

And just like Wednesday morning, Lauren followed her without much thought.

Although, it would take her a couple of seconds just standing by the door that Camila would have already shut, drawn into a spellbound stupor that left her immobilized. And that Friday, it didn't matter if Camila had created a pattern, everything still felt unexpected.

Camila remained to be her greatest weakness and her effect was still enduring.

Camila didn't stay long that morning, though. As reluctant as she was, her leave of absence had expired and she had classes to attend to. But apart from the folders containing corrected projects submitted by her students at Purdue and her purse, Camila left a searing kiss to prickle Lauren's lips as she pressed the psychologist against the wall next to the door on her way out.

While Lauren was left to reach up to her tingling lips, Camila wore a triumphant smile – stretching wider with every leisurely step accompanied by the ricocheting click of her heels.

And when she made it to the corridor of first lecture hall, her grin was virtually untamable.

To her petrified students, it was nothing short of a curious miracle that left them worse off.

"Good morning, professor." Came the same spineless chorus that greeted Camila every single time she stepped into a classroom, preceded by sharp gasps and loud hushes – her students' attempts at silencing those who have not noticed her dreaded entrance.

"Good morning." Camila retorted in a tone alien to the ears that her voice grazed, flashing them her uncharacteristic smile that they feared was a mere mirage created by their paranoia.

By then, she had frightened even the bravest and most foolish of souls who dared challenge her greatness, giving her a sense of satisfaction that she could not seemingly focus on at the moment.

Gratification from the torment she inflicted upon others was nothing compared to the bliss that had consumed her since barging in to Lauren's office.

Camila just couldn't help it; not when the sky was blue – cleared of the obscurity that shrouded her life with anguish that her past choices brought her. It wasn't the question on her willingness, it was about the ability to even fake a rigid exterior when she was melting inside. She was simply eager to return to room 115 and devour Lauren's lips again.

"Ready for spring break?" She queried almost absentmindedly, as if speaking with a friend or an acquaintance with which she made the effort to keep a conversation going out of courtesy. Her query was met with tentative murmurs and it was increasingly amusing. "Well?"