8 - Secrets

Life is a story of battles and perseverance. It's a story of when a beaten person stands up after a withering storm, and a story of beautiful tragedies that reveal which combats are worth the battle wounds.

"An eye for an eye" maybe a little too harsh of a law but there is some form of justice to it. You get punished to the same degree of a wrongdoing you have committed in the past. That seems fair. You get what you give, they say but when a person is determined and passionately fighting for the things they desire, there is only so little that could deter their spirit, regardless if they have been only a nuisance to the world.

Karma can take care of them; granting, they believe in it.

And most times, the worlds is unfair, and even if you've done nothing but cultivate goodwill, you are rendered to your knees and delivered a punishment you were never warranted in the first place.

What did Camila do to deserve the degree of agony she was continually plagued with? It had been eight long years - four months shy of nine and she could still feel the stinging bite in the core of her heart. It may have seem a little too dramatic but Camila had invested her all in that relationship.

After all the things they've been through and all the right things Camila did, Lauren still left like they never made a difference.

Camila thought she had escaped a reality she deemed nightmarish, only to walk in on a surprise when she had already established a new norm, a routine she religiously followed. Lauren had infiltrated the pristine paradise with a working ecosystem and suddenly, nothing worked anymore.

After opening the door to Sean Tremaine that afternoon, Lauren jumped away from Camila in a sudden dose of paranoia, which came quite offensive to the younger brunette. It had nothing to do with her, but she wasn't aware of it. Camila couldn't really blame Lauren for being ravaged in irrational fear.

Sean could have followed Lauren. Who knows?

The distance allowed for the pair to find the damage of the beautiful wordless conversation they had just took part in and the ruins were palpable.

There was a person on the other side of the door, and they would be more than curious as to why their dark tresses were tussled and why their lips were swollen - not to mention their ragged breaths. Essentially, they were panting.

There were quite a number of sources that fueled Camila's racing heart and pushed her chest to be wadded, requiring a valiant effort to fight against its force.

It may be Camila's biggest fear; to be standing before a horrified-eyed, Lauren whose hand had been touching her lips, wondering if she was still coursing through the realms of reality. And Camila perceived that reaction as that of remorse and maybe...disgust.

Camila was still recovering from the frenzy and the wild rollercoaster ride she had just stepped away from. While most of her ire had been defused, Lauren's presence was quick to rattle it back to its original intensity; maybe even beyond it. She was elated, for sure, but upon disengaging her lips from Lauren's, she was headed back to the same treacherous path.

Lauren was in shock, and Camila should have know that. Given her usually mundane, problematic life, remote excitement came from children like Pebble. Lauren was, essentially, combing through the plethora of emotions manipulating her mind and heart.

To begin with, she was confused. She could not fathom how a heated conversation suddenly exploded into a kiss amid the distance that they have created, no less. The thought alone never crossed Lauren's mind. That was rather berserk but it happened and she was inindeed, lucid.

The night was progressing quite edgily between her and Camila; she understood that she was the Economist's source of frustration, and she thought it would be quite sensible to vacate the area where Camila breathed. It was the typical distant cordiality - nothing out of the ordinary until her Camila followed her into the bathroom.