15 - Vestige

***Pardon the mistakes. No proofreading. Thanks!

-

Two things were true during their passionate love-making: Lauren loved Camila and Camila loved Lauren.

It was that simple.

The problem is, Lauren wasn't sure about the latter.

It's such a tragedy but most everyone would offer up their bodies to satisfy a desire with no such emotional bondage, when in reality, that was far more frightening than sharing it with someone who would put you first – with someone who loves you. Love - or care, in the least – provides a parachute for when you descend from that tremendous pinnacle, that no matter the velocity, they would either slow you down to a safe landing or plummet gracelessly with you.

And if you shatter, they shatter, too; leaving two broken souls that would thrive with each other despite being mere ruins of the person they once were.

In her insecurity and handicapped heart, Lauren overlooked many things.

The cruelty Camila had portrayed over the months of their reunion was unsettling; setting off a pandemonium to ravage what was left of her – displacing the mess of shards further. And even then, Lauren would still keep coming back to feel something and bask in the remnants of someone she had always considered her home.

Oddly enough, it made her feel alive albeit the pain.

Unbeknownst to Lauren, Camila was making conscious decisions all throughout their intimate liaison; tangled in each other, sharing fervent kisses and nimble caresses. There was a cognizant effort to exaggerate, to extend the heart-pounding, breathtaking pleasure that nibbled against Lauren's skin, congregated in her belly and finally, released through a strangulated huff preceded by languid mewls and groans.

It could have been disbelief or some warped perception of the brokenhearted but Lauren reasoned against her gut, which was adamant about catching the most palpable whiff of Camila's tender love. Because even if her open hands could only catch flecks, they were still speckles of Camila's affection.

And damn, did Lauren feel it in her touch; the soft strokes and gentle touches. She could feel it in the way Camila desperately breathed, almost as if Lauren was her oxygen. And in the same way, the air in Lauren's lungs would be depleted at the feeling of Camila's soft, reverent lips.

If those weren't enough, Camila did something Lauren least expected.

She stayed.

Lauren could still feel Camila's love as the younger woman cuddled up to her, tightly gripping her torso as if she was frightened of losing Lauren. Camila firmly pressed her naked body against Lauren's, rebuilding the two pieces of the singular puzzle that hadn't been assembled in a really long time.

It was 5:51 in the morning and the skies were dark. Remnants of winter clung onto the days as the changing season slowly loosened its grasp a finger at a time. The sun was leisurely climbing up the dark skies, providing a stream of light to illuminate - to the dawn of clarity.

Unfortunately, that morning felt like a dream or a distant memory because moments like those were evanescent. Lauren could not simply bask in the glory of their fervently glowing love as their exhausted bodies and revitalized spirits laid dormant in bed.

Then again, the rapid heartbeats jolting her from within and the ones emanating from Camila's body; they reminded Lauren that they both were there. And whatever transpired mere minutes prior would be stored in a chest with mental pictures of the past and not a mirage that her tired mind conjured up to soothe her yearning.