CHAPTER 8

Two weeks passed by soon and Aaliya was yet again on her way to the court. It wasn't really a hearing, Aaliya just had to complete some formalities with Poonam as she had hired a new lawyer to fight her divorce case; so Aarav could stay at home and enjoy his Saturday. By half past ten they were through with all the paper work at the court and Aaliya finally left for home.

Aaliya found a friend in her new lawyer Poonam. Poonam was a few years older to Aaliya and was married herself. When Aaliya and Poonam met for the first time after the 'rain' incident, Aaliya found herself opening her heart out to Poonam and she listened to every word of hers. Aaliya felt a weird attachment towards Poonam, as if she was her elder sister that she never had, and she felt as if she was sharing this with her family. It was after long that Aaliya felt light hearted.

Aaliya was back home by eleven. She found Aarav sitting on the couch and reading a magazine. Without acknowledging him she went upstairs and collected some bags. She rushed down the stairs and kept them on the back seat of her car. It took her three rounds to bring all the bags from her room to the car.

"Aarav, I'm going." She said as she shuffled through things in a drawer.

"Where are you going?'

"Old age home and then orphanage. My family's death anniversary today." She said as she continued to look for something.

"Shit." He murmured under his breath and kept the magazine aside.

Aaliya finally found the key she was looking for and slid it into the back pocket of her pants. She looked at Aarav who was now guilty and confused.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"About my family passing away?" Aaliya asked raising an eyebrow.

"No. I don't know why all these things related to our divorce are happening on days that mean so much to you. First your birthday, now your family's death anniversary. I'm sorry."

"I've a good memory with you every day of the year, Aarav. Our first hug, kiss, our confession, our first date, there are so many things. Even the second and third ones are important. So you'd be hurting me any day you bring the divorce topic." She said crossing her arms over her chest.

"I'm coming along. Just give me twenty minutes to get ready." Aarav said getting up from the couch.

"No need. It's my family's death anniversary, not yours. You've nothing to do with them." She said laying more emphasis on the word 'my'.

"But I always accompany you. And, I have everything to do with them; they're your family, our family, Aaliya."

"Ah, ah, ah. We're soon going to be divorced which makes my family mine and your family yours. Outsiders have nothing to do with my family." Aaliya said as she walked out of the room.

"You'd need someone to help you with all the stuff you got." Aarav tried to reason as he followed her, he didn't wish to leave her alone.

"I loaded all the stuff in the car and I believe I can unload them as well. I don't need your help for that." She said walking down the hall while Aarav followed.

"But-"

"You aren't tagging along. Bye." She said sternly as she walked out and then hopped in her white i20.

"Take care. Call me if you need me."

"That wouldn't be necessary." She said as she started the engine and sped away.

Aarav walked back in and locked the front door knowing that Aaliya wouldn't return home before late evening. He felt a pang of guilt for forgetting something that meant everything to Aaliya. From past six years they were going to the old age home and orphanage together for her family's death anniversary. They would spend time with the elder people whom their families had abandoned and then with some kids at the orphanage. It hurt him when she said that he had nothing to do with her family. Aarav had never met Aaliya's family, maybe in the parents teachers meet or in some programme or in the family get together as both the families were close but never had he got a chance to introduce himself as Aaliya's friend. All of them knew Aarav as their best friend's son and the cute kid who teased Aaliya all the time and not as the kid who always secretly crushed on their daughter. But in spite of that he loved and respected her family like they were his own.