CHAPTER 16

Aaliya left Aarav all fuming and confused in the room. She went back to the dining room where everyone was already seated and were waiting for Aaliya and Aarav to come so that they could begin the feast. It was after five more minutes that Aarav came down and the feast began. Aarav failed to get his eyes off Brent and Aaliya who were talking and giggling every now and then. He was fuming from inside but who was he to do anything? She was now his almost ex-wife, so she obviously had the right to go meet new people and moreover he had a girlfriend of his own. Who was he to blame her for anything she was doing? So he decided to sit down quietly and eat, ignoring everything that was going around.

The only time Aaliya talked to him after that incident back in the room was when she was leaving to drop Brent at the International Airport. She told Aarav about how Jay wanted to meet both of them and Aarav agreed and even offered to pick her up. Once everyone bid their goodbyes to Brent and Aaliya the two of the left for the airport. Aaliya really wished Brent stayed for the New Year's but he had some important work back home and couldn't stay even when he desperately wished to.

The next morning Aaliya woke up around half past nine and got ready. Her spirits were dead; something just didn't feel right to her. She felt negativity all around her and a part of her knew why she was feeling this way today. Ignoring all her thoughts, she cleaned the house a little and just when she had finally started eating her breakfast, the doorbell rang. She answered the door and Aarav stood there in front of her running his hand through his tousled hair. It was just like when they were twenty two, Aarav coming to her place to take her out on a date. It felt that nothing had changed over all these years. Everything still seemed the same. She shifted aside and Aarav walked in.

"I was having my breakfast. You have never been on time earlier." Aaliya said as she made her way to the living room where she was watching 'Definitely, Maybe' on Romedy Now. She picked up her plate and went to where the refrigerator was.

"No, it's okay. Have your breakfast, take your time. I'll wait." Aarav said but Aaliya just didn't feel right. She was not even in a mood to eat something but just then she remembered something her mother used to say, 'Never waste food, Ally. You should know that you're fortunate if you have something on your plate, because a lot of people don't. And then, you won't be able to become like your mommy if you don't eat that." And with that thought Aaliya went back and sat on the couch. She propped her feet on the coffee table and silently started eating as she watched the movie. Aarav sat down next to her on the couch and watched the movie as well.

"You seem a little off today." Aarav said.

"No, I'm pretty cool." Aaliya said without even sparing him a glance. Right now chugging down the food on her plate and watching Ryan Reynolds was on her priority list and surely not talking to her cheating husband. It was after ten minutes that she was through with her breakfast. She washed her plate and then took her clutch and cell phone.

"Let's go." She said as she walked out of the house and Aarav followed her. Once they were out, she locked the door and hopped into the shotgun of the car. The drive from her place to Hauz Khas took them good silent forty five minutes. Neither of them even tried to initiate a conversation. The silence killed Aarav but Aaliya felt weirdly comfortable as she was completely zoned out throughout the ride. When Aarav finally parked the car in the parking lot he looked at Aaliya who was still zoned out.

"What's on your mind?" Aarav finally asked.

"We'll tell Jay about the divorce today itself because I really can't lie to him anymore."

"Okay." Aarav whispered. He was scared to death to tell Jay anything. He really didn't understand why Aaliya was worried at the first place because it was he who was going to face Jay's wrath and not her.