Half a Billion Pounds

Sebastian eyed the Earl. Was that amusement in the demon's eyes? "You've never been one to think much of others getting hurt." he observed, his trademark smirk planted on his lips. Ciel pulled away from the demon's gentle grasp. "I wouldn't say that. I've always cared about my own feelings as well as the feelings of those close to me. However, I prefer not to be close to very many people. Therefor, it's easy to mistake me for being heartless."
"Hm." Sebastian thought about what the boy had said, realizing the truth in his words. "You're rather clever." He stated.
Ciel chuckled, blushing a bit. "I do pride myself in having cleverness be one of my few strong points."
"One of MANY strong points, my lord." Sebastian's tone was flirtatious as he backed Ciel up slowly. The Earl bumped into the wall, and tensed, not liking to be trapped. "Sebastian." He warned.
The demon hesitated, then took a step away. He seemed slightly surprised, but not at his master pushing him away. 'Perhaps he's surprised at what he, himself did?' Ciel though as Sebastian mumbled, "My apologies." He seemed ashamed.
The boy sighed. "Let's just forget about this and move onto the next paragraph." He sat down behind the desk.
Sebastian swallowed at a nagging lump in his throat and sat down across from Ciel. He opened the book and adjusted his reading glasses. He was afraid that if he tried to speak, his voice would come out choked.
For the rest of the day, the two ignored each other. Every so often, the Earl would shoot Sebastian a knowing glance, hoping for a reaction that would confirm that the demon's confession of love to the boy was more than some overly vivid daydream. He got nothing. Sebastian only acted as if he were indifferent to the situation; cleaning, provided his master with sweets and the occasional glass of honey and lemon water to smooth Ciel's now sore throat. This only aggravated Ciel further. Only minutes before his guest from India arrived, the boy snapped.
Ciel slammed down the quill he'd been using. "Enough!" He shouted. Sebastian looked back at his master, shocked. "Bocchan...?"
"Enough." He said again more quietly. He stood, but hung his head. "I can't do it, I can't just forget about it. I can't just pretend I don't feel anything for you." The demon would have been delighted. His heart would have sprouted wings and flown away with him, if it weren't for the tears in the boys eyes. It hurt to see him in pain. It always made him miserable as well. He wanted to bend down and comfort him. Heck, he wanted to place a long, passionate kiss on his delicate lips, but the demon knew he couldn't do that. He looked down at the tray in his hand, where an extra scone was sitting. He picked it up, not saying a word, and placed it on the desk in front of the young master. Avoiding his eyes, Sebastian started to make his way out the room.
Ciel glanced at the scone, his vision blurred by the tears. His heart tightened. He clenched his fists. "Don't go." The boy choked. Sebastian stopped in his tracks. He didn't turn around; he just stood where he was, awaiting the next order he'd receive, feeling like he was expected to be some faithful dog.
The Earl got up and slumped up to his butler, wrapping his arms around the demons waist. He nuzzled his face into Sebastian's back, repeating, "Why? Why did I have to fall in love with a demon?" Sebastian bit his lip, glad the boy couldn't see his pained expression. The sound of a carriage being pulled up rumbled from the open window. Collecting himself, Sebastian untangled himself from the small, delicate arms that held him. He turned to face his master, wiping the bloodshot eyes with his gloved hand. "You mustn't look improper for your guest." He managed to keep his tone indifferent.
Ciel managed to keep himself collected as he greeted his guest. He apologized for the occasional cough, explaining her just gotten over a cold. This wasn't entirely true, but the Earl thought it best if he word it that way. He lead his guest to the dining room, and seated himself as Sebastian presented the meal. Per usual, the man sitting on the other end of the table wanted to get straight to the point. He babbled on about business, and money. Probably asking for a loan he would never pay back. Ciel wasn't really listening. He made sure to put in an "uh-huh." Or "of course" at regular intervals, or whenever the mans tone ended in a question. The boy's mind, however, was elsewhere. It was fixed on the scone, which still lay on his desk in his study. 'What had Sebastian been trying to say when he placed it there? If he really loves me, and that's what he'd been trying to tell me, then why does his other actions contradict that? Why is his suddenly acting like some emotionless... machine?' His eyes flitted across the room to where his butler stood, a napkin draped over his arm. He'd confront him about it when the guest left.
However, after dinner, it was Sebastian who approached the Earl first. His expression was that of amusement. "Honestly, my lord. I've never seen you so out of it. Do you even realize that you agreed to give, and I mean give, not loan, half a billion pounds to support the company AFTER you've sold it?" Ciel's eyes widened. He agreed to that without even noticing?! He hadn't even been listening! "What?! Why would he need that much?" He asked.
Sebastian snorted. "Need it? No. He wanted it. And you just placed it in his hands. It's lucky for you, you didn't sign anything. What were you thinking about to make you let your guard down like that?"