Insanity

"Damn!" Sebastian threw his fist down on the marble by the sink, his demon strength causing huge cracks to form on the counter. "Damn." He said again, his tone weaker. His eyes were shut tightly and he bent his head down, clenching his jaw. He's fallen in love and now he was weak. For the first time ever in his incredibly long life, tears filled his eyes, then rolled down his cheeks. The demon sank to his knees, and put his face in his hands. 'Why me?' He thought. 'Of all people in this world, why'd Ciel choose me? Why does he put himself in danger like that, and why can't I protect him?!' Sebastian was a mess, kneeling on the bathroom floor, and he hated himself for it. He couldn't help it though. The boy was perfect. His gentle touch and evil grin. Those beautiful blue eyes and they way they glared when he was being stubborn about something. Sebastian knew what happened when demons fell in love. Every demon knew. The story had been drilled into their heads like the story of Little Red Riding was for humans. Every child he knew as a young demon had been told the story. 'Perhaps that's all it is, though? A children's story?' The twinge of hope was easily shot down. 'Even children's stories have some truth to it.' He got back up and tried to wipe his tears away. Dragging his feet, he made his way to his bedroom. He'd bathe later. Now, he wasn't in the mood. Images of bloodstained floors and walls filled the demons mind, along with a small, crumpled body. Sebastian cringed, clenching and unclenching his fists as he willed himself not to cry again. He wasn't going to see his master hurt like that. He wasn't going to let that happen.
Sebastian sat down on his bed, rubbing his temple. As the typical eerie silence passed over the manor, there were only two things the demon could hear; his rapid, panicking heartbeat, and the sound of pattering footsteps sprinting down the hall.
The pattering got louder and suddenly Ciel burst through the door. "Sebastian?!" He demanded, "What's going on?!" Sebastian frantically tried to dry his eyes and regain composure. "B-bocchan . You should be asleep." He avoided the question, not turning to face his master. "I WAS asleep! But there was a big crash and now the sink in the bathroom is..." His voice trailed off as Sebastian buried his face in his hands, and his shoulders began to shake. "Sebastian? I-is everything okay?" He took a step towards the bed, climbed in, then hugged the demon from behind. He felt frightened. A demon, crying. Something was terribly wrong. Sebastian responded with a quick nod, unable to find words. "You're lying. I ordered you never to lie. Sebastian. Please. Tell me. What's the matter?"
There was a long pause as Sebastian calmed some. Then, swiftly, the boys butler spun around, grabbing hold of the boys wrists. Tears ran down his cheeks and his eyes were aglow. He looked as if he'd been torturing himself. Ciel tensed as he was pushed back, trapped. Then quickly, the grip on him loosened. A nervous voice asked. "Were you scared?"
Ciel swallowed. 'What kind of question is that?' "Uh. W-well." He stuttered before admitting. "Y-yeah. I guess." Was that a sigh of relief he heard from his butler?
Sebastian got up. "Good. I can't have you blinded of what I really am." His cheeks were still wet, and that sad frown remained, but his voice wasn't wavering so much any more. "I need you to promise me something." "Promise you what?" Ciel asked. "Promise me that if I were ever to go mad, you wouldn't try to calm me. Promise me you'd run. Get away from me."
Ciel frowned, and his heart rate sped up. "W-what? Where is all this coming from?" Sebastian leaned foreword and placed a kiss on the Earls lips only to be pushed away. "Don't avoid my question." Ciel said sternly.
The demon stated at his master, stunned, "I-" he tried to come up with and excuse, but thought better of it. "There's a legend, among us demons," he began, "that states that if a demon's heart becomes weakened by love, the demon will eventually go mad. They'll do anything in their power to destroy the cause of their weakness. There's more to it than that, but that's the main idea."
Ciel raised his eyebrows. "God. That's twisted. You actually believe that?"
Sebastian felt a bit hurt at the Earls words, but he pushed it aside, and asked expectantly. "Just in case, can you promise to leave be behind if I do go crazy?"
Ciel rolled his eyes. "Fine. I promise."