Mirai No Omoide (Saryuu.E)

Mirai No Omoide

Saryuu Evan One-shot

By: @kakophony

You can probably tell this one is going to be a sad one. But it's just a little. Mirai No Omoide means Memories of the Future. It's supposed to be the "past" but it's also in the future so yeah...besides, if I name it as Memories of the Past, it's kind of common and boring. Warning, Raimon, including Tenma and the main characters, and soccer don't exist in this one-shot! And the ending is crappy because I was feeling pumped when I wrote it. ;-;

ENJOY!

The vaccine is what tore us apart. The vaccine is what ripped him away from me. Ever since the incident, black thorns had caged my heart, it trapped me in desolation, and I forever bore a grudge against it.

We've lost our powers, which us, gifted children known as Second Stage Children, were born with. We might've extended our lifespans but it made us vulnerable, it made us weak. I was the most reluctant to take the vaccine but it was him who encouraged me that we are all changing for the best and the only thing I want to have is him by my side until we die.

The only reason I took the inoculation was because he promised we'll live until the extent and he says taking it will make it possible. I kept that in mind as I felt the syringe inject me. And after four happy years, the negative side of the vaccine made deaths possible too. We all live now with the fear of being killed. It was the hardest.

I surely didn't expect him to leave first. Why him? He's the strongest of us all. Saryuu Evan is supposed to live with me until we pass away together.

"You're not thinking of that day again, are you, Vhessa?" Fei asks quietly and sits down beside me on the balcony.

"What else would I be thinking about?" I whisper.

Fei doesn't answer. Instead, he puts an arm around me and gives my shoulder a squeeze. "I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's those stupid people of El Dorado that made us take the vaccine," I grit my teeth in anguish. "If we had never done that..."

"We would've died years ago." Fei reminds gently.

"But we would've died together!"

"But, Vhessa, don't you want to live long?" Fei asks me. "And experience life more? We can grow, learn new things, and do new things because time is on our side."

"What's the use of living long when Saru is gone? It only causes me to suffer. If we hadn't taken the vaccine, we would've died short and peacefully, no agonizing, no tears. We knew what's coming for us."

"Vhessa, haven't you talked over this with Saru before?"

"What he said wasn't right! He said it'll start new lives for us and ever since that day, all I feel is pain, Fei."

Fei was silent.

The pause was long and irritating until he says suddenly,