7. | GRIFFIN

The rest of the week passed without anything weird happening

Griffin and Lauren hung out with the boys every night and sometimes in the afternoons when they weren't working. Lauren was already in full swing with the events staff at the club. The first tasks they'd saddled her with were planning her mom's book club brunch and early prep for the charity tennis tournament coming up.

Griffin's job was a lot less demanding. She'd fallen asleep at the Tennis Hut counter the other day without anyone noticing.

Today, she had an afternoon shift and was supposed to meet Matty and Lauren when they got off work. They were going back to Lauren's house to get ready for Mary Kyle's party.

God, Mary Kyle.

The name alone made Griffin's skin crawl.

Another intern came in early to take the next shift at the Tennis Hut, so Griffin lingered awkwardly outside the golf Pro Shop, waiting on Matty. Lauren was supposed to meet them there too. Griffin checked her phone again. 5:03 PM.

The Pro Shop door swung open. Griffin jumped.

"No worries, just make sure all of the driving range buckets are full with balls tomorrow morning before the course opens," a guy said, walking beside Matty. He had to be in his early twenties, with a boyish face and fantastic hair.

Matty was looking at him like he was God's personal gift to man.

(Which, Griffin had to admit, didn't seem far off.)

"Yeah I'll make sure it's done, no problem," Matty said. He saw Griffin and veered off in her direction, waving to the guy. "See you tomorrow, Cutter."

He stopped in front of Griffin and immediately looked suspicious. He pointed at her face. "What is that goofy-ass little smile all about?"

"Nothing." Griffin shook her head innocently. "So that's Cutter, hmm? The assistant golf pro?"

Matty tried not to grin. He gripped the back of his neck and looked down.

"Oh, my God, you're actually blushing," Griffin squealed, jumping up and down. She could count on one hand how many times she'd seen Matty embarrassed.

Matty shushed her, wide eyes darting around to make sure no one heard. "Say that a little louder there, Griff. I don't think people over on the driving range heard you."

"Matthew, he's adorable," Griffin gushed.

"I know. And it's fucking tragic."

"What? Why?"

Matty pushed a hand through his hair, scrubbing at the top of his head. "I can't have a crush on my boss! And plus, I don't even know if, you know..."

"Oh." Griffin hesitated. She hadn't even thought of that. But then her face split back into another grin. "God, Matty, if you don't get on that, maybe I will."