11. | CHARLIE

"Dude, you broke into my phone to steal her number?" Evan looks up from reading and grins

"Dude, you broke into my phone to steal her number?" Evan looks up from reading and grins. "Good man."

"I guessed your password on the second try, Ev," Charlie says.

He hopes he sounds casual enough to cover how much of a mess he is right now.

He and Evan stood on the sidewalk outside the café for almost half an hour after Evan declared the Publishers Weekly article enough of an emergency to skip their classes this morning. They both downloaded the Wattpad app and realized that, much to Charlie's distress, Griffin's senior group project posted the entire story online, titled Corbet's.

And it has over eight million reads.

Charlie read the first two chapters of it right there on the sidewalk, then he turned and walked straight back to their apartment. He's pretty sure the story is just all of Griffin's journal entries from that summer that Lauren's mom helped adapt into third person... What else could explain it?

That still didn't help explain away the anxiety attack, though. Charlie had to force himself to stop reading out of self-defense.

Evan, on the other hand, has been glued to his phone since. He's currently sitting on Charlie's bed while Charlie tries to calm down enough to remember what he needs to pack for Thanksgiving break.

"Chuck? You still good?" Evan asks.

"You still reading?"

"...Yes."

"Then, no." 

Evan holds up his phone. "Are you gonna keep reading this, though?"

"Absolutely not."

"Why?"

Charlie shoves a fistful of socks into his suitcase. "Because I already know how it ends, and I'm not trying to relive that shit."

A/N: It's GETTIN' JUUUUICCCCAAAYYYY

* * *

Copyright © 2023 by Alex Evansley

All rights reserved.

Instagram | Twitter | TikTok: @nonfictionalex

nonfictionalex.tumblr.com