27. | CHARLIE

"This is some grade-A bullshit," Evan says, rounding into the living room from the kitchen

Charlie's slouched so far into the recliner his chin is resting on his chest and his right forearm is almost asleep. It takes his eyes a second too long to adjust when he glances up. God, what time is it?

"What's bullshit?" Charlie splays his hands on the armrests and pushes his chair upright. "The liquor store not stock Buffalo Trace?"

Evan slams a brown paper bag down onto the coffee table. Whatever's inside clinks hard against the wood and sloshes.

"No," Evan huffs and sits down on the adjacent couch. (Always so dramatic.) "They updated Corbet's while I was at the store and I got so hyped because I thought it was gonna be an actual chapter update. But it wasn't. Which is bullshit."

Charlie sits up even more. "How do you know?"

"I got the notification," Evan sulks, holding up his phone. He looks like he wants to throw it over the back of the couch. "It said, 'WFUSeniorProject updated Corbet's' while I was standing in line to check out. But, like, it wasn't a real chapter. Just a stupid announcement thing. Seriously, is it really that hard to just give us a real update? People were pissed about your birthday party cliffhanger—"

"What did the announcement say?" Charlie cuts him off. His chest suddenly feels too tight to deal with Evan's theatrics.

Evan makes a face. "I don't know. I stopped reading after 'DISCLAIMER: NOT A REAL CHAPTER, JUST A FUN ANNOUNCEMENT.'"

Useless.

Charlie leans across both his recliner's armrest and the couch's armrest and swipes Evan's phone out of his hand. He could've easily checked on his own, but he doesn't want to lose his spot on his current chapter. Especially since he's getting right into the good stuff. Evan's sulking too hard to care, anyway.

The Wattpad app is conveniently the first to pop up after Charlie types in the 1-2-3-4 passcode. By now he's kind of familiar with the layout, so it only takes him a second to remember to pull up Evan's library instead of searching...

...Evan's library that's currently filled with a shit-load of other Wattpad stories.

Charlie does a quick scan through the titles, then shows the screen to him. "What, are you an addict now?"

"What?" Evan crosses his arms defiantly. "There's good stuff in there. Shut up."

After another painful minute or so, Charlie finally locates Corbet's and scrolls down to the last chapter. To Evan's credit, the title is almost exactly what he said it was. Charlie thumbs it open...

Copyright © 2023 by Alex Evansley

All rights reserved.

Instagram | Twitter | TikTok: @nonfictionalex

nonfictionalex.tumblr.com