Usury & Interest

Why Oh Why?! Why do we do we allow ourselves to be fooled by the cheating of the Kuffar? Why do we pay OUR ticket to Jahanam with a few dollars from this world?

Your excuses for using interest may be because of the following:
1. I can't leave properly without owning a good house etc.
2. Everything has interest
3. If Prophet Muhammad SalaAllahu 'alayhi wasalam was here he would've done interest.
4. This is a kaffir country and we have to abide with their 'laws' and 'ways'.
5. Were giving them our money anyways. How is even bad?

Well to answer or respond to those excuses lets begin with an ayah from the Qur'an:

"And [for] their taking of usury while they had been forbidden from it, and their consuming of the people's wealth unjustly. And we have prepared for the disbelievers among them a painful punishment."

[Surat An-Nisa 4:161]

"And [for] their taking of usury while they had been forbidden from it..."

In this ayah it clearly says interest or usury is FORBIDDEN! No matter what excuse we have we can't disobey our magnificent lord when he clearly said that it is forbidden.

And the next ayah,

"Those who consume interest cannot stand [on the Day of Resurrection] except as one stands who is being beaten by Satan into insanity. That is because they say, "Trade is [just] like interest." But Allah has permitted trade and has forbidden interest. So whoever has received an admonition from his Lord and desists may have what is past, and his affair rests with Allah. But whoever returns to [dealing in interest or usury] - those are the companions of the Fire; they will abide eternally therein.

[Surat Al-Baqarah 2:275]

Also in this ayah it says that interest is forbidden and "whoever returns to [dealing in interest or usury] - those are the companions of the Fire". May Allah subhanahu wata'ala protect us of the Hellfire and make us the companions of Jannatul Firdaws. Allahuma Ameen.

And to the ones who say that if Muhammad SalaAllahu 'alayhi wasalam was here he would've used interest here are couple of Hadiths,

"Narrated Abu Juhaifa: The Prophet (peace be upon him) forbade the use of the price of blood and the price of a dog, the one who takes (eats) usury the one who gives usury, the woman who practices tattooing and the woman who gets herself tattooed."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari - Book 72 Hadith 829]

This Hadith proves that even Prophet Muhammad SalaAllahu 'alayhi wasalam forbade usury.

"Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet (peace be upon him) said, "Avoid the seven great destructive sins." They (the people) asked, "O Allah's Apostle! What are they?" He said, "To join partners in worship with Allah; to practice sorcery; to kill the life which Allah has forbidden except for a just cause (according to Islamic law); to eat up usury (Riba), to eat up the property of an orphan; to give one's back to the enemy and fleeing from the battlefield at the time of fighting and to accuse chaste women who never even think of anything touching chastity and are good believers."

[Sahih Al-Bukhari - Book 82 Hadith 840]

This Hadith proves that usury is one of the seven great destructive sins.

If any of your families use interest especially the parents PLEASE remind them that this is HARAM and that Allah subhanahu wata'ala forbade it.

Here is a Hadith you can read to them,

"Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) said, "A dirham which a man knowingly receives in usury is more serious than thirty-six acts of fornication." Ibn Abbas's version adds that he said, "Hell is more fitting for him whose flesh is nourished by what is unlawful." "

Ahmad and Daraqutni transmitted it. Bayhaqi transmitted in Shu'ab al-Iman on the authority of Ibn Abbas. [Tirmidhi]

Asalamu alaykum warahmatullahi wabrakatuh,
~ Umm Mj

( SERIES II coming very soon )