2. Hummus

On my way to college I took a detour to my friend, Blade's house. We always meet up before college, it's been like that ever since the accident. He's been my hero since the day my father died.

I was destroyed after the news, nothing felt right anymore. I didn't eat anything for days, weeks even, my grades decreased rapidly from distinctions to passes and my whole life was falling to pieces. Until I met Blade. He was a mysterious guy who didn't fit the normal persona of a teenage boy. At that point, he had black hair with a side fringe that draped across his face, one lip piercing and red eye contacts. He was like the end of a dark tunnel in my life and pulled me out from the dark. He was the one who introduced me to a new punk band, 5 Seconds Of Summer.

As I walked up to the gate of Blade's house, he appeared from the side alley. He always surprised me, nothing was done in a normal way in his life - he did everything the unconventional way and relished in his friend's shock. He couldn't just exit through the front door like everyone else.

'Rox! There you are! Happy birthday! I was starting to think you'd bailed on me, too embarassed to show up in fear of all the attention on your big day.' He walked up to me and we embraced. Blade was the only one I could stand receiving hugs from.

'Don't get me wrong, a big part of me wanted to stay at home and celebrate my birthday on my own, but the pancakes were too tempting.' I took a step back and took out my phone to check the time. It was 8:29. 'Anyway, we better get going, we're going to be late for college!'

'Oh little one, you actually think we could make it to college in a minute. Even the fastest man on earth wouldn't be able to do that. Let's skip, there's a guitar shop in Camden I've been dying to check out.' He mockingly fluttered his eyes. 'We'll be back before your curfew, promise.'

My mind immediately dismissed the idea, I had never done something like that before, I didn't think I ever would. But then...'Well, my mum did say I didn't have to go in today if I was finding today hard, without my dad.' Blade patted me on the shoulder sympathetically then smirked at me.

'I knew you'd say yes, that's why I went out yesterday and bought us band tops to wear today.' He handed me a nirvana t-shirt with a little note on it that read: Only to be worn in the company of Blade Archibald. 'You're welcome.' He always knows how to make me happy.

'Oh my god! Thank you! I love it. How are you going to get away with not going to college today though?' I wondered, thinking of the time he went home with his second piercing, on his nose this time. To say that his mum wasn't happy was an understatement.

'That's all sorted with, let's just say it gives to a have a little sister who is easily conned with £10. My mum and dad have gone to work and my sister's at school so you can come in to change.' leaving the door to close on my face before I could react.

We both went into his house and got changed into our new t-shirts. His was a green day one with 'American Idiots' written on it. We then cracked open the ginger beer (my favourite) and had a short jam session, Blade on bass and me on electric guitar like always, before setting off for Camden.

"Nice t-shirt." Blade always loved green day, which is probably why he persuaded me to take up electric guitar, while he learnt bass. He showed me a quick riff he'd been learning, while I drank his ginger beer before we left for Camden.

Camden is notorious for its big market, where you can find practically anything. It's always bustling with tourists and wannabe hippies, punk, goths, you name it, you'll probably find them there. The market is so big it would probably take you hours, even days to go through everything it has to offer. The first time Blade took me there, I felt like I was in heaven. I felt like I belonged for the first time since the accident.

We arrived at around 12 and headed straight for our favourite part of the market - the food stalls. I had worked up a big appetite after the jam session and was craving my usual hummus wrap. I always get the hummus wrap when we go to Camden, so much so that I'd made friends with the stall owners. They call me the hummus girl, which quickly changed to blue hummus girl after I'd dyed my hair.

'Blue hummus girl! What brings you here on a weekday?' His face lit up when he saw me, I think I'm one of his favourite customers.

'There was a new law that was enforced that says it's illegal to attend college on your birthday, and I'm not one for breaking laws.' Blade gave me a fist bump and we both laughed at the ridiculous lie I'd just made up.

'Is there also a law that says you must buy a hummus wrap on your birthday? Because if there is I'd like to write my own letter to David Cameron to personally thank him.'

'That law only applies to me unfortunately, cancel the new birthday special you're already planning in your head.' I love these ironic chats we share. 'I'll have my usual please Lucas, you know the drill.'

'One hummus wrap with extra hummus coming right up!' I went to take my money out of my purse when Lucas grabbed my hand, stopping me. 'No dear, it's on the house for you, birthday girl.' I thanked Lucas and took my wrap.

Blade and I spent the rest of the day wandering around the market, indulging ourselves in free cheese samples and trying on all the ridiculous hats and glasses. Last stop was the new guitar shop of course. Blade spent just under an hour playing almost every bass guitar until he found the perfect one, an ultra V shaped red guitar. Suddenly, he changed chords from the ordinary scale that he had played on all the other guitars and began to play what sounded like She Looks So Perfect. I wondered why he was playing that...