7. Surprise

As I stepped out of the car to go to the restaurant, I could see a smile form on Amy's face. Not the nice kind, more of the evil 'you have no idea what's coming next' kind. I was worried.

'Could you wait here for a second, I'll just go and check if they have any tables free, they always seem to be busy these days.' Amy skipped off into the restaurant, leaving me leaning against the car. Suddenly, the sky turned grey and I saw a stroke of lightning in the distance, followed by loud thunder a few seconds later.

It reminded me of the day before the accident. Edward and I had decided to go on a little adventure up the hill that would, the next day be the place where my father spun out of control to his death. We had just reached the top when it started to rain profusely. It was cold, just like the day of the accident, and we had no coats to shelter us from the rain so had decided to run down the hill to take refuge under a big tree. When we made it to the tree, the heavens opened even more and a huge thunderstorm had started. That was when we decided to go home, much to my disappointment because I found it hilarious seeing Edward crying his eyes out. He's never liked thunderstorms.

I'd had enough, I was not going to look like a soaking rat on my birthday and I didn't have the keys to the car so I thought it was best to just go inside, even though Amy had not come out yet.

I opened the door of the restaurant and entered to see Amy frantically pacing up and down shouting at someone who looked a lot like my friend Joe. That was because it was Joe.

'How could you be so stupid......I can't believe you.....yes I expected you to invite everyone...no she's outside-' Amy had begun to become increasingly red in the face as her anger built up so I rushed over to see what all the mayhem was about.

'Amy? Are you okay? What happened? Why is Joe-'

'ROXIE! I told you to wait outside. LOOK AT ALL THIS MESS! I was just trying to-' Before she could finish, several of my other friends came bursting through the door and once seeing me,shouted 'surprise!' Amy collapsed in the chair in hysterical tears.

____________________________________________________________________________

A few hours later, after the whole situation had been explained about how Amy had tried to plan a surprise meal for me, Joe had forgotten to invite everyone and how everyone else heard about it and decided to come anyway, and we had finished eating, I stood up to go to the bathroom. Despite it being a very unusual situation that hadn't quite gone to plan, I knew that that was normal for my friends and loved every single minute of it.

'I'm just going to the toilet. Please don't start a food fight while I'm gone' Everyone laughed, but I knew that it probably would have happened if I hadn't said that.

'Hey! Wait up Rox!' I turned around to see Faith jogging along behind me. Faith had short black hair in a bob and had the most dazzling smile you ever would see, but despite being in almost all of the same classes as me since I was 11, we had never been the closest of friends. 'Happy birthday babe. I know we're not the closest and everything, but I just wanted to say that I really look up to you, the way you handled..you know, your dad's death so well was amazing.'

The truth was, despite my grades, I didn't make it very visible to my friends at school that I was struggling with the loss as much as I really was. I had become good at pretending, and 'I'm fine' became a very regular phrase I would use, even though I wasn't fine.

'Thanks Faith, that's so sweet of you to say that, but really, I didn't handle it as well as you think.'

'Then how comes you always told us you were fine? You know we were here to help you, maybe not so much me but Amy was.'

'It just seemed easier to say that, I didn't want to trouble you all with my problems. After all, I was actually fine, when I met Blade.'

'Who's Blade?'

'He's my friend, well I'm not sure what we are at the moment ever since...'

'Ever since what? Tell me!' Faith grabbed my hands and she gave me a wide smile, signalling for me to continue.

'Ever since he serenaded me on my birthday, gave me tickets to see my favourite band and kissed me. You know, the usual stuff friends do.' I giggled to myself, realising just how cliche it all sounded.

'Roxie, get your head out from the gutter! I may not know this Blade guy, but what I do know is that you are definitely not friends anymore. Just from the way your eyes lit up when you mentioned his name I can see that you love him as more than a friend!'

I tried to deny it, shaking my head repeatedly, but I knew she was right. I am in love with Blade Archibald.

A/N: I know I've been very crap at updating this story but now that I'm on summer holiday, I will try my best to upload a new chapter every Wednesday. Don't forget to vote and comment to let me know you are enjoying this :)