6. Fancy

BEEP BEEP BEEP! I woke up to the sound of a car horn that sounded ridiculously close to the house. After I ignored it for a while and it continued, I reluctantly opened my eyes and went to my window to see what was going on. To my surprise, my friend Amy was sitting in her car pushing her horn repeatedly.

'Roxie! There you are! I've been here for ages, I thought you'd never surface from that bed of yours!' She had a massive smile on her face, like always, as she began to get out of the car. To say I was confused, and a little annoyed, would be an understatement.

Moments after, the doorbell rung. I again reluctantly made my way down the stairs, still half asleep and opened the door. There she was, standing fully dressed, looking amazingly beautiful as always. Her long blonde hair was straightened and fell to just below her hips, her dashing blue eyes were perfectly complimented by her midnight blue eye shadow, and she wore a blue skater dress that showed off all of her curves.

'Oh my god Roxie what happened to you??' She questioned, examining my 'attire'. I bolted to the mirror in my living room, half expecting to see that my face had turned green or something, when actually, all I saw was my messy bed hair and smudged makeup I had forgotten to take off the night before.

'Nothing happened to me Amy, just the fact that, you know, you woke me up at ridiculous o'clock in the morning!' I have never (and probably never will) been a morning person.

'It's 11am! Anyways as it was your birthday and everything yesterday and you didn't bother to turn up at school I thought I'd take you out for lunch.' Without even having a chance to say yes or no, she continued. 'What are you going to wear? Do you want help deciding? The place we're going to is nothing fancy but maybe wear something a little more dressy than what you usually wear..' I was slightly offended.

'Oh if it wasn't fancy I was thinking of just wearing my pj's, let's go!' I started to walk out of the door before Amy pulled me back, her face full of disgusts.

'You can't wear that! I will not be seen dead with someone wearing their pyjamas out of the house!'

'I was only joking! Jeez you should've seen your face!' I smiled, reassuring Amy that I wasn't actually considering wearing my pj's out. To her, that would have been a sin.

It took me exactly 30 minutes to get ready, throwing on some jeans, a band tee and leather jacket, just to make my outfit a little more 'dressed up'. I put on the bare minimum makeup, with of course a tonne of black eyeliner and put on my signature choker. Whilst I got ready, Amy said she would wait downstairs,where she still was when I finished getting ready, making small talk with my mum about my fashion sense.

'She wears nothing but black....maybe you could find her some more colourful clothes....pink would be great,' was some of the things I could hear my mum saying from my room. Ever since I had started to change my wardrobe she had done nothing but criticise me, telling me my clothes made her feel depressed and that I should wear more colours that accentuate my good looks.

I walked down the stairs carefully so I could get closer without them hearing me to listen in more on their conversation. Through the crack in the door I saw my mum showing Amy something on her phone and then proceeding to laugh at the look of surprise on Amy's face. It was, no doubt, a picture of me when I was younger in a princess dress for fancy dress day at school or from that time I decided to steal my mum's makeup and do my own makeup.

'She really used to be like that?!' Amy exclaimed before laughing even more until actual tears began to stream down her face. 'I can't believe it!'

I had had enough. I burst into the room joyfully, strutting my outfit at the two of them, pretending that I had no heard anything they had just said. 'I'm ready!'

Amy's smile turned into a blank look as she began to think about what she would say to what I was wearing. 'That's....an interesting outfit choice....I guess it is more dressy than the stuff you usually wear,' she tried to convince herself, but I could see it wasn't working and that she hated it.