Chapter 52

Clara had stubbornly refused any help in the kitchen that Camila had offered, no matter how hard she had tried. Although it had been quite amusing to watch Lauren trying to show off her so called skills in the kitchen while her parents had probably used every trick and argument they could think of to prevent just that.

Camila certainly didn't miss the look of horror in Mike's eyes when Lauren had walked up to the stove and how quickly he shoved her out of the kitchen while muttering something about the fire department... that was a story she really needed to hear sometime soon.

"It wasn't anything serious! That could've happened to anyone," Lauren grumbled with her arms crossed and Camila smirked as she set another plate down on the dining table. It was her own little victory that she could at least help setting the table if nothing else. "I swear, they're making a big deal out of nothing. I'm awesome at cooking."

Camila glanced over her shoulder as Lauren suddenly drew a sharp breath and saw that someone entered the dining room she hadn't seen since they got here. But her smile turned into a slight frown when she noticed how nervous he looked. "Hey Chris! How are you?"

She was a little confused though when Lauren fixed him with a glare. She was obviously missing something... again. Why was she always out of the loop?

"Freaking finally!" Lauren called out as her sheepish looking brother hesitantly walked further into the room. "Dude, what the hell! You've been ignoring all my texts and calls!"

Camila raised her eyebrows in surprise. She had always thought that the Jauregui siblings were really close and Lauren never said anything about not being able to reach her brother. Not that she had to tell her anything, everyone had their secrets of course...

"Sorry, I was... busy," Chris finished lamely. "It wasn't intentional."

But Camila noticed how he wasn't able to look his sister into her eyes. Maybe she should leave... this was awkward enough as it was. But as she glanced down to the plates, cutlery and napkins, she knew that she couldn't leave the room without a very valid excuse.

"Bullshit.  Ever since I sent you that text, it's like you fell off the face of the earth! I want some answers, Chris. And I want them now."

His eyes widened as he noticed how serious Lauren seemed to be and nervously glanced to the kitchen door. "I don't have any answers, I don't really know that guy!"

"Then why are you so evasive? And why have you stopped answering me?! Do you have any idea how that feels?"

Camila watched the two siblings as they glared at each other and slowly started to set the last plates on the table.

"It's not any of your business," Chris finally answered and broke their eye contact. "This doesn't concern you, Lauren, stay out of it."

Lauren's eyes slowly softened as she looked at her brother a little longer and Camila shifted uncomfortably. She shouldn't be here for that private conversation... but, on the other hand, if they wanted to talk privately about it, they could just leave the room...

"Look, if you're in trouble or something, I can help you, I could –"

"God, Lauren!" Chris shook his head in exasperation and ran his fingers through his hair. "There's nothing to do! Just let it go, okay? Please..."

"Obviously it's something," Lauren said softly, standing up, and walked to her brother. "Chris, I can help, whatever it is... you know you can trust me."

Chris looked up and glanced to Camila for a moment.

"Maybe later... alone," he added quietly.

Lauren followed his gaze and frowned slighty. "Camz has plenty experience when it comes to them, Chris. She could be a big help."