Chapter 57

"– you home?"

The silence in the house was broken so suddenly that it felt like a shot had been fired. At least it had the same effect as one.

Camila groggily opened her eyes as the voice reached her ears, but immediately regretted the motion. Everything was spinning. She didn't know when exactly her old room had turned into an out of control carousel, but it had. Groaning, she propped herself up on her elbows and tried to shake it off.

No, this nap hadn't been good at all. How could some people call that refreshing? She felt worse than before, not refreshed and energetic or whatever bullshit Dinah had told her. It would have been better if she had just stayed put and waited for Sofi to come home...

"Mamá?"

The voice sounded closer now... no, it wasn't just a voice, it was Sofi's. Of course. Who else would call for their mother in this house? And who had she been waiting for? Camila rolled her eyes at herself. Stupid... this nap had not only made her nauseous but stupid as well. Where were the benefits?

Well, stupid people had to have less worries than others... that sounded certainly like something she could need. Camila furrowed her brow. What exactly was she even thinking?

"Anyone home?!"

"In my old room," Camila called back and rubbed her temples.

It had to have something to do with that damn nap... her thoughts had never confused her like this before. Well, they had done other things, like almost killing her, but... no, what the hell was she thinking?

Camila buried her head in her hands and was grateful for the short silence. She was going to kill Dinah. Or maybe not. But she would... hide her Beyoncé DVD collection? Yes, that sounded great. It sounded like a masterplan. Like suitable payback for... for... what exactly?

"Holy shit, get on with it, you stupid brain," she muttered and softly hit her forehead before quick footsteps interrupted the silence of the house once more. "No running on the stairs, Sof!"

Maybe she should forget about her revenge for... whatever it had been about. Her attention span right now was less than that of a goldfish. Although Lauren had told her that it wasn't even that uncommon anymore with the younger generation... Lauren was full of random facts, she was like this gorgeous, warm and cuddly encyclopedia. Or at least that's how it felt like sometimes.

Had this already been enough space? They had been apart for probably four hours now without any contact at all, wasn't that enough? Grimacing slightly, she shook her head and let her hands fall from her face. No, probably not. This was almost laughable. But Lauren had to contact her soon anyway, they still had to talk about the entire situation. And Lauren was the one who had to initiate the conversation... no matter how badly her fingers itched to grab the phone... Dinah was right. The ball was in Lauren's basket. Field. Court. Or whatever. Her brain was useless.

"You're here!" She glanced up and saw Sofi standing in the doorway, staring at her with wide eyes. "You're... you're actually here!"

Camila pushed the thoughts away. This right now was more important. The sparkle in Sofi's eyes was all she needed to lift her mood.

Grinning, she opened her arms. "Surprise? I hope you don't mind me staying here for the night?"

With a loud squeal, Sofi jumped on the bed and into her arms, successfully knocking her back down. Camila giggled at the enthusiastic greeting and pulled her little sister closer. It was almost unimaginable that they had been without each other for over a year or that they had only kitted their broken relationship two days ago.