❖ Chapter Two

[dedicated to Sev, who is one of my biggest supporters]

CHAPTER TWO

It was dark, and I couldn't see a thing. Light was foreign to a place like this, the darkness' rays overshadowing the light rays and not letting it to pass through. I looked around and like the times before, a spark of hope was ignited within me and I looked at my surroundings searching for something, anything that would tell me what all of this meant and why I was on the receiving end of these nightmares.

"Don't look behind you," a silvery voice entered my frantic thoughts, cutting them off, and I turned to face him, his stony face had my rapt attention.

"Why?" my voice quivered as I watched him take slow, cautious steps towards me as if him taking long strides would make me run away from him and turn the other direction and face the chaos that laid behind me. I was very certain of what laid behind me yet the lump that grew in my throat was proof of the evident fear that I was feeling. I felt my heart pound in my ears and I could hear the loud sound echo repeatedly, my breath quickened and my body started to shake.

"It's alright, Genevieve," the man said, his face full of care and softness. He gestured me over, lifting his hand and pulling it backwards in a repetitive motion to get me to walk towards him. "Don't look back," his silvery voice was filled with large amounts of warning. "Just come to me."

When I didn't listen, when my eyes started to cast sideways, fear coursing through my veins yet my curiosity had already reached high levels, a shout that was filled with urgency filled my ears and the air I breathed. "Genevieve, NO!"

I looked up, a bit startled by the urgency his voice held, at the man. His jaw that was well defined opened, and words spilled out of his enticing lips that had a hint of purple in them, "come to me, Genevieve. Forget about that. Just walk to me."

I trusted his voice. There was something about the gentle carass his silvery voice had that made me trust him. His hand was held out for me to take, his slightly dark skin shining brightly in all this darkness.

"Genevieve," his silvery voice begged, his grey eyes filled with a newfound plea as his gaze grew from serious to begging and caring. "Take my hand, Princess. I'll keep you safe."

"Princess?" I echoed, testing the way that word sounded on my tongue. When the man said it, it sounded like royalty, like some sort of word that was likened to the very privileged. On my tongue it sounded ordinary like it was just another word from the dictionary; no special effects, like it was some sort of endearment that many young men used to woo women with.

I took slow steps at first, not quite sure why the man was so insistent that I not dare to look back but each step I took forward, the curiosity overpowered me, becoming stronger with each step I took away from the chaos that I had not set eyes upon.

The man looked slightly happy with my movement, contentment radiating off his face when he saw that I was walking to him and taking his advice. But what was the chaos? What actually laid behind me? What exactly was the man protecting me from?

Without a warning I spun around, my heel digging into the hard, flat black ground and scraping the soles of the shoes that I was wearing. I was no more faced with a black void. It looked a hell lot worse.

The sky was tinted red while a darker shade of red stained the ground. Bodies lay everywhere, their limbs unmoving and pierced with spears and other unidentifiable weapons that just looked plain tortuous. The bodies laid still, one on top of the other, blood leaking from the pores of their skin and onto the ground, making the bloodspill of the chaos all the more prominent.