♚ Chapter Twenty-Four

NOTE: before you start this chapter, I have one thing to say: enjoy ;)

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

I had overreacted. When it came down to my emotions I barely had control, I often let my emotions get the best of me and I always ended up saying the wrong things, for instance when I first spoke with my father in the main courtroom. I had been so consumed with anger that I hadn't even bothered to watch my tongue, words and accusations flying out of my mouth like I meant every single one of them - except that, to some extent, I actually did mean what I said.

Should I be worried about how I reacted to Alastair? Did I overreact? Was what I said too mean? I had seen the hurt that flickered over this grey eyes that I had felt constantly drawn to. Of course, my words affected him.

I sighed and sat upright in my bed, swiftly throwing the comfy sheets off me as I swung my legs over, hanging them off the bed as I laid my elbows on my thighs and leaned forward, placing my head in my hands. The room was engulfed in darkness and somehow that made all my worrisome thoughts louder, and because they wouldn't leave me alone, because those thoughts made me keep tossing and turning in bed, I couldn't fall asleep. I stood on my feet, not bothering to slip them into my slippers because I loved the cold tingles that the floor sent up my legs.

I exited my room, closing the door behind me with a soft click before I began padding down the corridor with my own bare feet. I met the guards that were stationed at the end of the hallway and flashed them a dazy smile before I said, "I'm going up to balcony. I need some air."

One of the guards nodded, smiling as he bowed his head towards me, "of course, your Highness. We're here if you need us." His name was Rhys.

The other guard, Elias, smiled at me and said, "Alastair is up there too. He said he needed some air as well," - a hesitant pause - "for what it's worth my lady, I appreciate you sticking up. Word of what you said in the Royal Library earlier today got around and... It's honour to one day serve you if I live that long."

I smiled at him, my heart warming at his words before an image of Thorin's face flashed across my mind and the smile turned a little sour as I said, "if I live to see the day, I'd be glad to have you by me." Shaking any thoughts of Thorin capturing me, or of him having his hands around my neck in a vice like manner, I nodded at the two guards and said, "see you when I get back, boys," before I swooped around and climbed my up the staircase towards the balcony.

When I opened the door to the top of the roof - the balcony - I breathed in the fragrance of the fresh, chill air letting it wrap around me as I cooled down. My eyes scanned the area and when they landed on a muscled back, a man hunched over the wall and peering down at the city, I felt my breath hitch. I knew he was up here, Elias had told me so, and yet seeing him out all alone - the sight of him was somewhat quiet but not quite serene, the atmosphere bittersweet and the sight of him made my heart beat faster in my chest that I was afraid that in all this silence he would be able to hear my heart even if I wasn't that close to him.

"Are you going to stand there all night, Genevieve?" Alastair asked, his silvery voice cool and calm and I wondered what it was that he was thinking. I knew he heard me when I entered due to the soft click of the door that I closed behind me when I stepped into the balcony, but how had he known it was me?

I walked my way towards him and asked, "how did you know it was me?" before I leaned my forearms against the low wall just like he was positioned and tilted my head to look at him.

"You didn't say anything when you entered and I know you saw me. I am standing out in the open," he pointed out. "And I have noticed that you sometimes are speechless around me even though half the time I wish you wouldn't be." There was nothing cocky in the way he said it, instead it sounded like he was still thinking about about what I said to him in the library. Except his stare was so vacant, never once cast me his silvery gaze when I entered and just looked out at the city.