♛ Chapter Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY

It was like we were all frozen in time, all of us staring at each other, tentative and afraid that if we stepped in the wrong direction two heads would plop down on the floor and more chaos would be unleashed.

It was Randall that broke the tense silence, his tone light and jovial as he remarked, "well, as interesting as it is to be in this dramatic scene I'd rather fast forward and see where it leads to. Can we get on with the show now?"

When I looked at my father I saw that his green eyes danced with happiness while his face was stricken with worry. I looked to what he was looking at and found my mother standing in his line of sight, with a similar expression on her face.

"Now, now, Randall, there's no need for any show," my mother said and I blinked in surprise. Her voice didn't sound half as bad as it was back in the room where Thorin had kept her locked up. She cleared her throat, speaking again, but her voice still sounded a bit throaty. "Put the knife down-"

"Sorry if I'm rude, your Highness, but I made a promise to my dear Alassy," Randall sang, pressing the blade against Alastair throat and I watched a thin line of crimson red make its way into the sword and drip from the sharp edges. The sight managed to make anger flare within me and at the same time for fear to make itself comfortable in the depths of my stomach.

"I promised to be the one to kill Alastair Ignacio," Randall continued, clearing any air of confusion that may have been in the room, as he pressed his lips to Alastair's ear and pulled the arm that he held captive on Alastair's back, causing Alastair to release a grunt. "And I will fulfil that promise."

My mother laughed, her laugh airy as if this was what she experienced everyday of her life but by the surprised looks on everyone's face I knew that she hadn't quite done this before. It was then that I realised what she was doing - she was stalling. Giving us time.

"Is there need for all of this rivalry? We were all friend's once-"

"Yes, once, and I don't intend to have a repeat of that-"

"Don't tell me you don't miss your old family, that you don't blame your father a little for he's done. Don't tell me that blaming the King was so much easier for you than blaming your father who was-"

"My father wasn't in the wrong! Your husband was."

While my mother and Randall kept the conversation going, Josiah was slowing backing away my father and himself to another door situated at the end of the room. He thought we were distracted but little did he know that Archie was also inching towards Alastair and Randall, and relief washed over me when Alastair noticed what his brother was trying to do.

When Archie passed me, he placed his hand on mine and I felt a sharp tip prick my palm but I bit down the yelp and quickly slid the dagger up my sleeve, keeping the dagger in place by the hilt with my thumb.

In the moment, it all seemed scary but equally exciting. Whether Josiah or Randall was really going to cut throats of two men who played very important roles in my life or not, I couldn't help feel anxious and excited at the same time. I didn't know why, but the thought of making Randall bleed for hurting Alastair pleased me when I knew it shouldn't have. The thought of making Josiah bleed for all the betrayal and heartache he caused me - now that thought was intriguingly exciting. Wicked but exciting.

I was mildly disgusted by myself. Is this the way Thorin thought? Is this what jealousy drove him to?

I wasn't proud of the thoughts that encircled my mind as Archie approached Alastair and Randall, and I approached Ronan and Josiah, but I didn't let that stop me from harnessing those thoughts to work to my advantage. I could feel the adrenaline pumping underneath my skin.