♚ Chapter Twenty-Five

[dedicated to Hasnita for being such a sweetheart] 

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Alastair was gone when I woke up the following morning. We had both fallen asleep on the balcony, the warmth of his body next to mine, cuddling with mine, had offered me comfort from the cold hard ground that we both had fallen asleep on looking up at the stars as they twinkled above us, dulling us into blissful slumber.

Now I felt the chill bite at my skin and I shuddered, wrapping my arms around me and rubbing my hands down my arms in attempt to warm them up before I realised that my attempts were futile and I rushed to the balcony door, taking one last glimpse of the dark sky, the moon now a visible thin curved stripe and the stars fading away, and looking around for Alastair. When my eyes didn't find him I gave out an irritated grunt and slipped down the door, trekking down the stairs in a rush.

"Hello boys," I greeted the two guards who were stationed at my end of the corridor. "I fell asleep on the balcony. How long was I gone?"

"Just a couple of hours," Elias replied. "You look exhausted, your Highness. I suggest you get some sleep in your chambers rather than the balcony floor."

I laughed at that, a part of me glad that these two guards had eased up ever since I stepped foot into Deidrif. I still remembered how stiff and cautious they were of everything that they said. It was quite amusing actually. At my laugh, the guard's lips stretched into smile and the other guard let out a muffled chuckle.

"Alastair Ignacio told us to give this to you," Rhys said, giving me a piece of folded paper and I reached out, eager to read the note hoping that it would explain his sudden departure. My hand brushed against the silver armour that wrapped around his hand when I took the note from the guard. "He said he'll be back by dawn tomorrow."

I nodded at both the guards and said, "you two should take some rest."

"Our shifts are almost over," Elias replied.

"Thank you for your concern, my lady," Rhys said.

Giving my favourite guards one last smile I hastily made my way to my room and once the door was closed I leaned on it and shut my eyes tight, my head roaming with the number of possibilities that Alastair had regretted what happened last night but the statistics didn't quite stack up to that and instead all I could think about was that after what had transpired between us last night he wouldn't dare let me go. I knew Alastair, he promised me he wouldn't let go, so without questioning all the doubts that constantly hovered over my mind any more, I took in steady breaths before I gently opened up the letter and read.

Genevieve Salvatore,

I know you're panicking now, or you're getting angry and riled up. But I haven't left. I don't plan to. For you, I'm finally willing to risk it. I apologise for leaving so suddenly but there is something I must do.

The reason why I care so much for my job isn't only because I am patriotic and care enough about my duty to see it through but it is also because of Anthony. His medication is very rare and because of its rarity it's very expensive. It pains me to see my mother and father bear the pain of worrying about their eldest son's health and the wage I get is plentiful handsome. I've been saving, too, in case anything went wrong and when I come back I know you'll argue with me that my brother's health is of more importance and it is important. But I told you last night that I'm done fighting against us, I want to fight for us. So I'm willing to take the risk and if anything backfires then at least I have my savings to help Anthony's situation.