♚ Chapter Fifteen

IMPORTANT/WARNING: i did mention that this novel was rated PG13 because it involved mature content. there will be very mature content and thus readers discretion is advised.

[dedicated to my Rach, who is a brilliant reader & writer (banner credit) ]

CHAPTER FIFTEEN

It was Alastair's birthday and when Bronia told me this surprising little bit of information while I was getting dressed to go to the ballroom for practice I didn't quite know how to react. Why hadn't he told me it was his birthday? Did he really think that telling me the history of Deidrif and this Kingdom was more important?

The past few days were spent with either Alastair visiting my room or me visiting his. Each meeting sizzled with tension and Alastair had made sure to put distance between us but even that made the tension grow and all I ever wanted to do was tell him to shut up and just kiss me but I couldn't because it wasn't allowed and because he wasn't someone who was willing to bend the rules and sneak behind the King's back.

Well, the King was an arse and a bastard, and it wasn't only this ridiculous rule that kept Alastair and I apart that made me draw up that conclusion about him.

Ronan was on strict orders by Alastair to teach me as much about the history of this world to me as he was able to but I was never a fan of history and Alastair's lectures tended to be boring most times. But there were times when he would tell me an interesting story, a story that of course had an important moral to it, and when he saw me looking at him with utmost interest, his eyes would darken and the sexual tension would slowly slide back in. And so he kept away from all those interesting stories because the more attention he got from me, the harder it was becoming to stay away.

A week and a half had passed by like this, with me having extravagant meals that I felt weird having - and made Bronia promise to have some with me - and also with Alastair teaching me all there was to know about this world. I hadn't had any nightmares ever since I stepped foot into Deidrif and while I was glad to have that heavy burden off my shoulders it made me slightly anxious. Why wasn't I having nightmares? I wanted to discuss my 'gift' with Alastair and the opportunity had presented itself several times, seeing as I didn't have much to do except study the history of this world, but I couldn't bring myself to talk about it. I didn't want to overthink it and I was sure talking to Alastair would make me overthink it, like how I always overthought everything, and Alastair was keen on filling me with as much knowledge as he could so I let him do his job.

When he tried teaching me about manners and eloquence he was surprised because I had already mastered them before he taught them to me and I had told him that my mother made sure that I was taught to live the life of the rich people even though that was not our status back in the mortal world, back in the normal world.

Alastair also told me about Deidrif's foundations and it's greatest Kings. When he went on to talk about Ronan I could almost see why he gave Ronan all that respect, why he held Ronan at such a high regard. With everything Alastair told me about - Ronan warding off evil, lowering taxes when Deidrif was facing difficulty, providing shelter and food for those who could not afford it and much more - I still couldn't find it in me to give him the same respect Alastair did. My anger had simmered down but it was still very much alive. I was still angry at what Ronan did - more precisely, what he didn't do.

Even though it was only a week and a half Alastair managed to cover a lot of things and even though I was certain there was still much I didn't know, I felt extremely educated. It had been a very informative one and a half weeks.