Chapter One: light meets darkness

Lucy was walking around town with Asuka, Alzack and Bisca's child. She was babysitting her today as they went on to a job.

"Hey, Lucy! We should find Natsu!" The little girl says.

"Alright, would you like to get ice cream first though?"

"Ice cream!" She yells as she skips to the destination. Then she stops and runs the other direction.

"Asuka! Where are you going?!" Lucy asks running to catch up with her.

"I sense a wizard!"

Lucy face palms, "it's probably one of our guild mates."

"No... It's different. I want to find them."

Lucy could feel the magic power then. It was dark and unfamiliar. It felt damgerous. Her heart raced as she worried for Bisca's daughter, "no! Come back here! It isn't safe!"

The girl took a sharp corner then she was gone. Lucy looked around panicking. 'Oh no...' She thought, 'where is Natsu when you need him? He could smell her out. I hope she doesn't find who she's looking for. It's probably some dark guild stopping by.'

Then she sees her in the distance running towards a man in black, with a white cloth around him.

"Asuka! Don't go any closer to him!" She yells.

The man hears her and turns to look. Then he felt some thing grab him. He looks down and see's a little girl hugging him tightly.

"Wizard," she says smiling. Her cheeks pink.

"I'm... I'm so sorry about that. She runs fast on her little legs," Lucy was out of breath as she watched the mystery wizard cautiously.

Asuka releases him.

"It's okay, not a big deal," he ruffles the girls hair with his hand. His voice was soft and smooth. Lucy could listen to every word that would come out his mouth. It was relaxing.

"I... Um... Well, we should probably go now, Asuka. Remember you wanted to get ice cream then see Natsu."

"Natsu..." The man said.

"I... Yeah, I'm part of the fairytail guild...." She said hoping it'd scare him off or something but, he just smiled.

"The strongest guild in Fiore. I know it." He says.

"Do you know Natsu?"

"We go way back but, I don't think he even remembers me." He looks down sadly.

"Oh..." Was all she could respond to that.

"Can he come get ice cream with us, Lucy?" Asuka asks. Pointing at the wizard.

"I bet he has other things to do," she says.

"No, it's fine. Ice cream sound great. It can be my treat." He says.

"Yay!" Asuka exclaims.

They head to get ice cream. Lucy looking over her shoulder at the guy, not trusting him. Asuka really liked him. They were laughing together. 'I should tell the guild about him...' Lucy thinks to herself.

They get their ice cream and sit down together. She then realized they probably look like a family going out together right now. Her cheeks started to turn pink. The man notices and she looks away. She could sense his smile.

The three decide to go on a walk at the park nearby. Not many people were around and it was making the celestial spirit feel uneasy.

"What kind of magic do you use?" Asuka asks the man.

"Well, it's kind of hard to explain..." He laughs nervously.

"Then what's your name?"

"My name? Well, I'll tell you but, you got to keep it a secret."

"I want to know too!" Lucy says with her hands on her hips.

"Both of you have to promise then," he says.

They nod.

His smirk was dark and evil, "my name is Zeref."

Lucy stood there shocked, 'Zeref? What the hell? Huh? What? This guy must be joking. Why would anyone joke about having that name though?! Oh my god. I need to get Asuka away from him. He is dangerous. My feeling was right!' She stands there hyperventilating.

"Zeref? I feel like I've heard that name." The girl says.

"You might have. Everyone seems to know it." The black wizard tells her.

Lucy was having so much trouble breathing and keeping still.

"So, what does Zeref use for magic?" Asuka questions again.

"I use the black arts."

"Black arts..." She says pondering what he told her.

"We should probably go now! Look t the time! It's so late. It's time for you to go to bed!" Lucy laugh trembled.

"It's two in the afternoon..." She says.

"Oh! Well, we should find Natsu then! Let's go!"

"Can Zeref come with us?"

The blonde Mage hangs her head low, "no. He can't come with us. He doesn't belong her." Then she looks at him with hatred in her eyes.

Zeref stares at those eyes for a few seconds then looks away, "you should go with her, Asuka. I'll be here for a few more days. It was nice meeting you," he says smiling at the child.

She beams up at him, "bye bye Zeref!"

He puts his hand over her mouth, "remember it's a secret." He whispers.

"Right! Sorry! Bye!" She says.

He starts to walk away and glances at Lucy. She looked relieved as she watched him leave. He looks down at his feet, 'I'll forever be rejected in this world.' He thinks.