Chapter Four: fated love?

Lucy walked to the guild the next day. She had a little bit of a hop in each step and she had no idea why. She felt good today. Full of energy and happy.

When she walked into the guild, it was like it always was. Loud and full of craziness. She spots Natsu fighting with grey... Again. Lucy sits at the bar.

"Hey, Lucy! Why do you look so happy?" Mira asks while cleaning a glass.

"I don't know actually. I just feel good." She responds.

"Did something happen between you and Natsu?"

Lucy's face turns bright red, "no way! Don't start that with me again! Ugh!" She slams her face into the table, leaving it there.

Cana then comes up, "I started to use my future cards to see about your life today."

"Why...?" The celestial spirit mumbles against the hard surface.

"My cards said you were going to feel something you've never felt before today."

Lucy's head comes up, "something I've never felt before...? Hmm...." She taps her chin with her pointer finger, thinking intently.

"I bet she figures out her feelings for Natsu!" Mira says with hearts in her eyes.

"No way!" Lucy snaps back.

"Fated love..." The she devil says, ignoring the blonde Mage.

"What's going on here?" Natsu says, with his hand on Lucy's shoulder.

Lucy's face turns red.

"Are you sick or something Luce?"

"Ahh!" She then starts throwing random objects at the fire Mage.

"What is your problem?!" He tries to dodge them but, gets hit right in the face by a glass.

"Nothing is my problem!" Lucy's blush intensifies. She storms out of the guild before she embarrassed herself even more. She has had feelings for Natsu for awhile, it was just hard for her to admit it and he probably didn't feel the same or he just didn't know it.

She walks into her apartment, lands on her bed, face first into her pillow and screams. It was muffled.

Zeref sits there watching her in shock, 'has she lost her mind?' He thinks, "hey... Are you okay?"

"Ahh! I forgot you were here!" She sits up and stares at him. Her cheeks pink from what happened at the guild.

"I figured." He says as he flips through a sorcerer magazine. He looked bothered by it.

"You know if you don't like it, you don't have to keep looking at it," Lucy tells him.

"Natsu yet destroys another town. Always reckless like always," he reads.

"You're reading about him?"

He smiles, "what happened to make you scream in your pillow?" He changes the subject.

"Well... Ugh, its stupid."

He just stares at her.

"Mira can be a pain sometimes. She keeps trying to get members of the guild together. Today she wanted me to be with Natsu. It didn't help with Cana told us both that I was supposed to feel something I've never felt before happen today. Cana's cards can tell the future."

"Oh.... So... You do like Natsu?"

"What? No... I mean.... I don't know..." She blushes, "why am I even talking to you about this?"

He just shrugs at her.

"You know.... Your eyes are so kind. It's hard to believe all those things people say about you." She says staring intently at his face.

He smiles slightly, "such innocence. Looks can be deceiving."

"But, the eyes are supposed to be the windows to the soul. What everyone sees on the outside of a person isnt what the truly are. I can see that you've felt a lot of pain in your life. You've had so much loss. You've been so alone and wanting more than anything to die. It makes me so sad to think about everything you must've been through. I bet even after four hundred years you're still not used to death."

"Lucy..." He says. He was speechless. He never thought anyone could understand him and here she was. His eyes started to water.

Then instinctively she reaches to him to hold his hand for comfort but, he flinched away.

"Don't touch me.... I could hurt you or worse..." He warns her but, she grabs it anyways and gives it a gentle squeeze.

"Everyone deserves a second chance," she tells him.

Their eyes hold onto each other. Zeref couldn't believe that she was touching him and nothing was happening. Lucy felt something she never has before. It must've been what Cana was talking about. She must've felt something for the black wizard. She couldn't believe it. He was Zeref. It was crazy. Before her mind could stop her she leaned in closer till their faces were only inches apart. She could feel his breath against her lips.

"Lucy...." he whispers, frightened.

Then their lips touch but, too soon Zeref's hand left hers and he struggled to get away from her.

She just stared at the dark Mage.

"How are you... Okay?" He looked at her in shock, "why would you do that? You could've been killed... I could've killed you..." He touched his lips. That was his first kiss. He couldn't kiss her again, even though he wanted to. He just got lucky that time, 'I shouldn't be here. I'm being so selfish. My presence endangers her. Why would she kiss me? What is she thinking? She shouldn't like me....' He wishes he could die right then but, he feels a warm hand on his arm. He looks into big brown eyes staring back at him.

"Zeref...." She blushes, 'i can't believe my first kiss was with him... With Zeref...' "You're not going to go right?"

"I should. I shouldn't be here. This is selfish of me."

"Feelings things like this isn't being selfish. It's okay. It's human. Nothing is wrong with it. I don't want you to go. I want you to stay." She grabs his hand again and steps closer, "stay. I want you to be selfish."

He cups her cheeks with his hand, "I don't want anything to happen to you."

"Nothing will. I believe in you."

He leans in close and they share a second kiss but, it lasted longer this time. His kiss was sweet and gentle and Lucy never wanted it to end. She grabbed on to him by the collar of his shirt and deepened the kiss. He moaned quietly which made her body react in a way, making her shiver.

Tears ran down Zeref's face as an overwhelming amount of emotions passed thorough him. He's never felt so alive. He forgot his sadness for a moment. He forgot his guilt. Forgot his painful past. Everything that was negative was gone but, he knew it would come back when they their kiss broke apart so, he kept kissing her. He never wanted to return to that other life. He wanted to stay in that moment forever knowing it would soon come to an end.