Chapter fifteen: curse of death

Natsu woke up to the sound of someone crying. He opens his eyes, adjusting his sight. Everything was blurry at first then he saw the black wizard sitting on the ground holding Lucy tightly but, she wasn't awake.

"Lucy... I'm so sorry...." He hears Zeref say, "it's all my fault. I should've stayed away but, I would've never thought this would happen to you. This fate you have now is worse than death itself. I would know.... You won't be able to care or be around anyone.... Oh god...." His voice cracks and he sobs even louder. His body shaking, "I wish there was something I could do to change this."

Natsu gets up from the ground and walks over to them. He puts a hand on the dark mages shoulder. Zeref turns around and stares at his little brother. The dragon slayers were cold but wavering as he looked at Lucy.

"I want you to leave. I don't ever want you around her again." Natsu says.

"But, I can't leave. She needs me. I need to help her with this."

"She has fairytail. We can help her."

"How could you help her?"

Natsu was shaking with rage, "we would the best we could. We will be there for her."

Zeref slightly smiles, "if you all want to die then go ahead but, can Lucy stand the fact that she killed her own friends?"

"She would never do that."

"She wouldn't have a choice. She's cursed. Everything she loves and cares for will die. It's the curse of contradiction. It's exactly what I have." He tells him.

Natsu looks down. His bangs covering his eyes, "how could you possibly help her then? You don't look like you can control it. I've seen that black cloud before."

"I wouldn't be able to take the curse away but, she can lose herself if she doesn't have my help. She'll need to leave everything behind."

"Like hell she will. She's staying with me. I won let her be with scum like you"

Natsu's words stung. Zeref's heart felt broken. More tears came flowing down his cheeks.

"Do you hear me?" The fire Mage yells.

"Yes... But, I can't leave her," he responds.

Then Natsu's fist meets with Zeref's face. Knocking him back.

"Get away from her!" He comes at him again with a fist full of fire but, misses the black wizard while frozen in time a second.

"I mean no harm, Natsu."

"That's all you know! I don't want you anywhere near her!"

Zeref gasped. He was right. All he could do was cause harm, "fine, I'll leave. Just be careful and take care of her," he started to feel the predatory attack coming and he needed I get away from here. From everything. He leaving running as fast as he could. He almost reaches the end of the city until he lost control. The black cloud surrounding everything. Taking more lives.

-----

Natsu picks Lucy up bridal style and carries her to the ship to leave. Her skin was cold.

"I'm sorry, Lucy. I don't know what this curse or whatever could mean for you but, I promise I'll never leave your side."

He reaches the boat finally. Team Natsu was all there waiting for them.

"Is she okay?" Grey asks.

"What happened?" Erza questions him too.

"I...." Tears break out of the fire mages eyes, "she's cursed... I don't know what it means but, Zeref said its the same as his."

Then he hears a soft voice. Lucy runs her eyes, "Natsu..."

"Lucy! How do you feel?" He asks.

"Why are you crying?" She touches his face and tries to wipe them away.

"Do you not remember?"

Then everything hits her. She remembers the pain in her head. Seeing a black cloud forming around her. People running scared. Then she remembers all those people falling onto the ground.

"What happened to those people?" She asks him, "what happened to me?"

"I'll tell you when we get home," his jaw was clenched and he puts Lucy to her feet.

"Just tell me now? What was that black cloud I saw? Why were the people falling? And I don't want to go home yet."

"You don't belong here, Luce."

"You mean I don't belong with Zeref."

He didn't know what to say.

"What did you do to him? Where is he?"

"Does it matter? He ran off."

"That... That doesn't sound like him. He probably was going lose control of his magic...." Then she thinks about Zeref's curse. The black cloud that sometimes would form around him. The predatory attack as he called it. It would kill anyone that got caught up in it. She thinks back to what she remembers then realization hits. That black cloud was from her. The people falling.... Falling to their deaths. She killed people. Lucy started to shake that her knees gave out, "no.... It can't be... I killed those people..."

"Hey, it's all going to be okay. You didn't mean to."

"I killed them. I'm cursed by ankhseram."

"By who?" Titania asks.

"The god of life and death."

"Why would he do that?"

"Because, I wanted to save you guys. To make sure a war would never happen and to do that I tried to change Zeref's mind. I tried to make him happy and okay. I tried to change everything and I fell in love with him and he with me. This is punishment. I can't go home. I need to be completely alone. To isolate myself. I don't know when it'll attack again."

"No, we can help you." Natsu says.

"You can't though. I don't want to hurt any of you. I care about you guys so much."

"I don't want you to leave. I want to help you. We'll find a way. We're fairytail. Nothing is impossible for us."

Lucy was crying as she stared at her best friend. She took his hand, remembering he probably couldn't be killed because of what he is.