Chapter 4

After the class ended, Charlie waited again as usual, but the thing that seamed to make her have mixed feelings again, was that Cameron waited with her. He didn't say anything for a little bit, but when Charlie finally got up to leave, he got up with her and started walking.

She didn't glance at him, but she also wondered why he was insistent on this. Every now and then during the class, he would try to talk to her, to get a reaction out of her, but he kept failing. He'd make small talk, he'd steel glances at her.

Cameron wanted her to look at him, and he didn't know why. He didn't think anything about it, he was just curious. It's why he keep talking to her though class. He wanted some kind of reaction. Maybe just a simple head nod. 'He would leave her alone then', he thought to himself. He knew she wasn't deaf, he saw her react to Jeff earlier.

Following her out of the class room, he started to talk again. He didn't really keep track about what he was saying, just kept talking. He would say something funny and glance to see if she smiled. But nothing. She just kept walking with her head down. The only thing he's seen of her is her pale, glass like skin and her short, dark blue hair that peaks out from under her hood. He just wanted her to look up, he wanted to see what she looked like.

"Charlie." Someone called out and she froze in her steps, then slowly, turned to see Carson across the hall from her. A small smile on his face.

Cameron saw her actually look at someone and it shocked him. He was jealous and didn't know why. He turned to look at the person and realized it was a senior, someone he's seen around the school before but has never talked to. Before he could register that anything changed, he realized the guy was now looking at him. Cameron shifted on his feet, confused. Especially when he saw an indecipherable look on his face.

"Who's this?" Carson asked, wondering why this guy was near Charlie. The look on her eyes told him that she didn't really know him, so Carson took a couple threatening steps forwards. "Hey you, who are you?" Carson asked, keeping his voice neutral. Cameron Paled.

"I'm just going now..." He turned and started to walk away, but not before seeing a semi-amused expression on Carson's face.

"Was he bugging you?" Cameron heard him ask her and he turned to see her reaction. She didn't have one. He sighed as he knew it just wasn't him she did that with, but for some reason it didn't make him feel better about it. He ducked around the corner and went on to his next class, formulating ideas on the way.

Charlie got away from Carson after a few minutes of his asking questions she didn't answer. At first it was funny because he kept asking about the guy, but then he asked about classes and teachers. It was mainly yes or no questions but she barely had to respond because he already knew the answers. When she entered her last class of the day she saw Cameron in the same room, the only chair open being once again next to him.

She sighed in her head and went to her seat. All day she's been avoiding the stares. It didn't matter at first, but then the whispers started. She could could hear most of them. They noticed she was back, they knew now for sure it was her, and they were discussing what happened this summer. She sat down in the seat and put my elbows on the desk, leaning forwards and grabbing my ears to cover them. She didn't want to hear it. She didn't need to hear it. She was there, She knew what happened.

When the class started, she finally took her hands away and took out her notebook, ready to do something with her hands again.

"Alright class, today is the day you all have been dreading. That's right, I'm going to pair you up for our group projects." The whole class groaned and Charlie sunk in her seat.