Chapter 23

If Charlie did anything, it was fight. She fought her parents on getting any sort of treatment and remedy. She fought her brothers on it as well. And just like he promised, Cameron was there by Charlie's side the whole time. 

     "Mom, dad- I'm not going to do it." She told them for the millionth time it seemed like. "I'm serious. Please, don't make me go through with it. If I have a time limit anyway, I'd want to spend it how I wanted.... for as long and I could. Please don't take that from me." 

"Charlie, we only want what is best for you. Can't you see that?" They pleaded again. But Charlie wasn't having it, and Cameron was right there beside her, giving her support even if he didn't say anything.

"I don't want any treatment." She shook her head.

"Charlotte..."

"No." She crossed he arms over her chest.

"Charlotte Anna Baker, we are your parent's, you do not talk to us like that." Her dad raised his voice. "I don't care right now what you want, the point of this is to find a way for you to survive-"

"Surviving and living are different!" She matched his tone in frustration. "Dad, I don't want to just survive... That's not who I am, I'm tired of being that person." Her throat tightened slightly, but strength remained in her words. Cameron squeezed her hand, lending her strength, letting her know he was still there.

"We only want-"

"If you want what's best for me, then let me live my life, don't make me just survive it." She turned to look at her mom again. "Please mom, I don't want any treatment..."

     After another hour of fighting with her parent's for the third day, they finally relented and agreed on conditions. This wasn't something they were taking lightly, especially because of what happened with Charity. The stipulations were easy enough for Charlie and she quickly agreed, finally relaxing. She wouldn't have to worry now.

~

     Charlie was released form the hospital with strict terms and very strict care. Not only for eating, but for what she did physically on a daily basis. Charlie was allowed to do activities like ice skating and rock climbing, something Cameron talked about doing with her, she just had to be very aware of her body and couldn't keep anything from the home nurse they hired to live with them, nor did she keep anything from her brothers and Cameron. After leaving the hospital, her parent's stayed for a couple days but then had to leave again, but this time, they promised to come back soon.

     And they did. Her parent's came home more often, and only went on trips when it was essentially necessary. This time, they made an extra effort to be there for Charlie, they didn't want to miss any moment of Charlie's life from here on out because they were mourning their other daughter.

     Charlie's relationship grew with her parents, it grew with her brothers, and it grew with Cameron. Charlie didn't need that many people in her life, but she was grateful to the one's she had and put as much effort into loving them back as she could. Life was short after all, you could never know when it was going to be taken away from you.

     Going back to school was the easy part, something Charlie insisted on. She wanted to live the full experience. 

     No one but her family and Cameron's knew of what news she had received, and she was glad for it. She didn't need anymore whispers than what was already floating around the school. Cameron still sat by her in every class he had with her, and he would tell her stories whenever he got the chance.