Chapter 13

Charlie sat on the ground with Cameron next to her, enjoying the semi-warm weather they were having for one off-fall day. It was the Sunday before school started again, and Carson invited Cameron over again, surprising Charlie. After he got to the house, Carson practically forced her off the couch to go outback and enjoy the weather, which is why they were sitting on the ground, and why there were five sets of eyes watching the through the blinds, all taking turns at it too.

     Charlie was a little concerned why, but she didn't say anything. She just remembered Carson coming into the room right when Cameron got there, saying something about it being nice out, and he hauled me off the couch and walked me to the backdoor. 

     Cameron had an amused look on his face as it happened, but didn't save her from her brother. Instead, he followed her out and then sat on the surprisingly dry ground. Charlie didn't know what else to do besides stand there awkwardly but she gave the ground a shot and sat next to Cameron. He smiled when she did, and turned more to face her. 

     Cameron was talking to her again, this time telling her about soccer camp experiences. He made it more like a story that he was telling, using his hands to give examples. At one point he told her about this play he made up and showed her how it happened by putting a few leaves and twigs in place and making a mock up, having sharpie marks on them to initial which position they belonged. 

    He would move the pieces and then demonstrate what happened when he decided to pull his move at the camp, and then how it formed into a play they used at his last school. He looked up everyone and then to Charlie, making sure he wasn't talking to much ,and that he didn't lose her attention. But surprisingly, she had been watching with interest the whole time. He realized maybe she was actually picking up on the things he told her, which made him smile even wider. 

     He wanted to talk more about the games he played, but then switched topics to some of the jokes that were played on people at the soccer camps. Cases where someone would sneak up behind an unsuspecting person and smear lotion all in it. Or when the coach had pulled a prank on the team one time in the early morning, the whole team got together and left his truck sitting on cinderblocks.

     He stopped after that story for some reason and looked up at her, looking at her eyes that seemed to have more life to them than they did when he first met her. He didn't know the reason they were any different, but he was glad they were. 

     He smiled softly at her and she started to smile back. Though it stopped at just a little twitch, it still reacher her eyes. 

"You know, I just realized something." Cameron stated and and leaned back on the ground. "I haven't told you anything about myself..." 

     Charlie looked at him quizzically, cocking her head to the side in confusion. 

"I've told you stories that happened to me before, but I'm betting you don't even know my favorite color, or favorite band... Heck, you probably don't even know my favorite food." Cameron gave her a cheeky grin. 

     He sat his head up to look at her and saw her purse her lips ever so slightly, causing him to let out a chuckle. Her eyes darted to his face and he swore she rolled her eyes tiny bit, and then shocked him by turning and laying down on the ground next to him.

     She laid with her head titled sideways so she was facing him, and her mimicked her actions, his eyes watching her face. He didn't know what he was looking for. After a minute of silence he smiled.