Chapter 17

Cameron was shocked. He didn't know what to think or say. It made sense to him now why Charlie was that way that she was when he first met her, but it was still news that shocked him. Someone coming down the steps suddenly saved him from having to answer, and Cameron turned to see Charlie her red Pea-coat and grey beanie again, a smile on her face.

"Ready?" He smiled in her direction, not quite forgetting what he heard, but not letting it affect him too much, for Charlie's sake. 

     Charlie nodded her head and stood by his side, then looked over at Carson for a moment and he noticed a couple looks pass between them. He wondered by the way they were acting if they haven't talked since her twins death, much like she hadn't talked to him when he first met her. As the thought passed through his head, he remembered how three weeks ago Austin had asked if she talked to him, and his suspicions grew.

    He held his hand out without thinking, still lost in his thought process, and it didn't registered till Charlie grabbed onto his hand with her brother training sharp eyes on the movement. He looked from their ca-joined gloved hands to Cameron's face and then raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. Cameron decided the best way to play this without being a stuttering fool was to give a small smile and continue out the door like he was doing before, with his head held as a respectable level and not looking down at the floor in embarrassment like he wanted to.

     Carson watched his little sister hold tightly to Cameron's hand and sighed, feeling protective and agitated, but also relieved. He liked Cameron. So far he knew how to keep his head on, had his young life together, and seemed to be good for Charlie. He was allowed to live.

~

"Mommy, mommy! I can see Santa!" A little girl squealed from a few feet over.

     Charlie followed her outstretched finger and sure enough, she saw a big fat man with a white beard and Mrs. Clause hooked onto his arm as they walked through the crowd, waving and taking pictures. She remembered when her and Charity would take pictures with Santa and sit on his lap to tell him what they wanted. It was always the same thing too, never did they have different taste in toys. Or food for that matter.

     It caused a little pain in Charlies chest, but she tried to push it away. Finding her own person... She had to remember that. She couldn't always look back on the life she shared with someone else.

"Hey look, there's the Bakery I told you about." Cameron's voice pulled her from her thoughts. Charlie glanced over and saw the quaint little shop,  a red awning out front and tables around the patio, the cute little shop made her smile with fond memories. A little ache in her chest, but nothing that couldn't be soothed with a cinnamon roll. "ever been here before?" He asked and Charlie nodded, pushing a smile on her face.  "I only just discovered it at the end of the summer when my mom took us driving through the town and decided to stop here on a whim."

      Cameron pushed the door open and the bell chimed. The place was good an busy, but the shop lady looked up from her current customer and widened her eyes when she saw us. She quickly told someone else to take over the orders and made her way around the counter.

     The white haired woman's eyes were trained on Charlie as she came over with a bright smile on her face. Her southern accent came through when she talked, opening her arms for Charlie and pulling her into a big hug.

"Charlotte Baker, I didn't think I'd be seeing you at all, let alone this time of year." She pulled back from Charlie who had to let go of his hand when the woman engulfed her. She looked over her and you could tell she was assessing how she was. "I like what you did to your hair. The purple makes you eyes pop." She gave her a big smile. Not even bother to take in account that Charlie hadn't responded to anything she said. "Oh Sweetum's it's good to see you. I wish you and your brothers would come by more. Let me just go get your usual, and don't bother getting your money out, it's on the house." She was about to turn away but then her eyes finally noticed Cameron.