Chapter 3

The next morning, I woke up on the couch. I didn't remember going back downstairs, but I often sleepwalked. The kitchen lights were still on, which meant that my dad hadn't come home last night.

I rolled over, grabbed the TV remote, and turned on the morning news. They were showing the weather report. We were going to have another hot, sunny day. Well, I certainly didn't plan on seeing it. There was no way I was going back to school after what had happened, even if it meant failing.

I picked up the ducted air con remote from the coffee table and turned down the temperature then grabbed the blanket off the back of the couch and snuggled underneath it. I stayed that way for the rest of that day and the next, only venturing out to get something to eat and use the bathroom.

When my father finally came home, he stood in front of me, hands on his hips, blocking the TV. He was still dressed in his business suit, and his short, dark-brown hair was styled to perfection. He liked to be intimidating, but I never saw him that way. I felt sorry for him. How could anyone be truly happy when he ignored the people who he was supposed to love?

He couldn't even be bothered to sit down to talk to me. "Why would your school be calling me about your absence the last few days?"

I picked up my mobile phone and checked the screen—four missed calls from Dad. "I don't want to go back."

He glared at me. "You're going back." He turned around and walked toward the garage door. "I'll be in China for the next week, and if I hear you haven't been at school, then I'm going to hire a babysitter to make sure you get your ass there every day. I mean it, Zara." He stomped out and closed the garage door behind him without so much as a goodbye.

"Yeah, Dad, there is something wrong," I muttered.

"Oh really? What is it, my dear darling daughter?"

"I was almost raped, Daddy."

I choked on a laugh. As if that conversation would ever happen. He'd probably accuse me of being stupid for getting into a situation like that in the first place—if he even believed me.

Too pissed at my dad to sit there any longer, I went into the kitchen and grabbed a tub of ice cream from the freezer. I took it out to the back deck and sat on one of the sun lounges.

The salty sea breeze and rhythmic sound of the waves crashing against the shore stripped away all my pent-up anger. Of course, the chocolate-fudge ice cream that I was shovelling down didn't hurt, but that sounded too clichéd. And I didn't do clichéd.

The sun had started to set behind me, leaving a pink glow across the sky. People were jogging down on the beach, going about their day as if everything was normal. But I guess nothing did happen to them. It was me. And tomorrow, I would have to face the jerks and bitches again at school.

I threw the half-empty ice cream tub on the patio table and stood up to go back inside. As I turned, I saw the black-eyed boy leaning against the wooden fence of the pedestrian path leading down to the beach. But when I did a double take, he was gone. I looked down at the beach but didn't spot him. He'd probably never been there at all.

God! What the hell was wrong with me? I was seeing that guy everywhere. I couldn't even escape him in my sleep.

I shook off my thoughts and went inside, locking the door behind me.

***

The next day came all too quickly. I stood in my bedroom, staring in the mirror and trying to convince myself that I was okay. I would be okay at school. I wouldn't run into the jerks that I had thought were my friends. And I wouldn't have a crap day at school. Yeah, right.