Chapter 22

Never in a million years would I have thought I'd wake up next to the son of a drug lord and not be afraid. But there I was, wrapped in his arms, completely content for the first time in weeks.

Somehow, we'd kept our clothes on all night. And I was unashamed to say that it was because of Jett's stubbornness of not wanting to "deflower" me—his word, not mine. I had assured him that he would most certainly not be doing that, but apparently, I hadn't experienced anything yet.

"Morning," Jett said in a husky voice.

I pulled his hand up to my neck and hugged him. "Morning."

My head dipped back as he lifted his off the pillow, then he kissed me just below my ear. "As much as I'd love to keep you in here all day, it's almost nine, and your next exam starts in an hour."

I rolled over and sat up. Just as my feet touched the floor, a hand snaked around my middle and pulled me back onto the mattress. My laugh was cut off when Jett's lips found mine. All the built-up passion that I'd put to rest when I fell asleep last night came back with full force.

But like before, he pulled away. "You're going to be late if you don't get up now."

Groaning, I climbed out of bed and headed to the bathroom. After my shower, I wrapped a towel around me and opened the door. I expected Jett to still be in my bed, but he was gone. I got dressed, gathered my stuff, and went downstairs to the lounge.

Jett came out of the kitchen, holding two coffees. "Such a shame I'll only get to see you in that uniform for another three days." He put the cups on the table, grabbed my tie, and pulled me to him.

I traced the lines of his tattoo. "It could always make a reappearance."

He grinned. "I'm going to hold you to that one."

I stood on my tiptoes and pressed a kiss to his cheek before picking up my coffee to take a sip. The whole time I could feel his eyes practically undressing me, and I loved it.

Jett wrapped his arms around my waist from behind me then leaned in and inhaled deeply in that funny way. "How about we take my bike?"

I choked out a laugh. "Yeah, probably not such a good idea," I said, holding up my coffee.

***

When we arrived at school, Lilly was leaning against the fence. Her eyes lit up when she spotted us.

After we parked, she strode over, her smile growing bigger the closer she got. When I got out of the car, she said, "Two guesses why you weren't answering last night."

I tried to squash the grin that spread across my face, but it was hopeless. My mouth seemed to have a mind of its own.

"Hey, Lilly," Jett said, coming up behind me.

"Morning," she said with a smile. Lilly looked to me. "We better hurry, or we'll be late."

I furrowed my brow. "We take history together?"

"Sure do," she said.

Jett laced his fingers with mine as we walked through the school gate. Lilly led the way, and I listened absently as she chattered the whole way there. She seemed so much more self-confident over the last week, and I wondered what was responsible.

Lilly slapped my arm with the back of her hand. "You're not listening to me, are you?"

I shook my head. "Sorry. I was just... thinking about the exam."

"How do you think you'll do?" she asked.

"I think I've got it." History was always one of my stronger subjects. "How about you?"