Chapter 12

The sound of gunfire ricocheted through my ears. I opened my eyes, desperately searching the moonlit room, hoping that the man who had put the bullet in my chest hadn't come back to finish the job.

No one was there. I tried focusing on the air to see if any rippling appeared, but everything seemed normal. It was only a dream. I looked at the clock—three in the morning. Without thinking, I rolled onto my side then realised that only a few hours ago, that simple movement wouldn't have been possible. My chest still hurt, but at least I could move. I took a deep breath and held onto it until the pain had subsided then released it slowly.

I closed my eyes and tried to go back to sleep, but it wasn't until the sun began to rise that my eyes got heavy enough to drag me back under.

***

The vibrating of my phone on the bedside table woke me. With my eyes still closed, I reached out and grabbed it. "Hello?"

There was no answer. I opened my eyes and looked at the screen.

"Shit." I had ten missed calls from my dad and one from Lilly.

My phone began vibrating again with a message from my father.

Why aren't you answering your phone? Do I need to call for that babysitter?

I clenched my fist, trying to keep from throwing the phone. Once I was calm enough, I replied.

I just woke up. Have been up all night studying.

I hoped that would appease him.

A minute later another text appeared.

You better not sleep in tomorrow! You've got an exam, and I'm going to be checking with the school to make sure you're there.

Yes, Dad. I wouldn't miss school for the world. I threw the phone on the bed. I couldn't wait for the school year to be over so I could finally get him off my back. I just wished he would stop pretending he gave a damn about what I did. The only person he gave a damn about was himself and what everyone thought about him and his precious daughter that he had raised from birth on his own. That was the lie of the century. My father did everything he could not to be in my life. Nannies had raised me. I had one from the moment I was brought home from hospital, and thanks to my father crossing the line of professionalism with each and every nanny, I had another fifteen thereafter. I was so determined to not make it sixteen.

I sat up, and a dull pain throbbed in my chest. I had completely forgotten about my wound. I carefully peeled back the gauze. I stared down at my skin. The wound had improved. "What the...?"

A knock sounded on my bedroom door, then Jett entered without waiting for me to give him the okay.

"Yes, you may come in," I said sarcastically.

He smirked. "Shy, are we?"

"Ahh, I don't call me not wanting a guy I've just met to see me in my underwear as being shy."

"Swimmers, panties, same dif."

I rolled my eyes. I wasn't sure if it was just Jett who felt that way or if it was part of the Gold Coast way of life. Somehow, I thought it was the latter.

"I'm guessing you're needing to go to the bathroom?"

I scrunched up my face. How did he know?

He laughed as if he'd read my mind. "Most people have the urge to go when they wake up."

I cringed. "And you're planning on helping me get there, aren't you?"

He clapped his hands. "That's what I'm here for."