Chapter 20

Turning the last page of the test over, I sighed with relief. I had actually managed to finish with ten minutes to spare. How I had been able to concentrate after Jett's kiss was beyond me.

Many nervous faces turned to the whiteboard as the teacher put a line through the "ten" of "ten minutes left" and wrote "five." Only one other person had his paper turned over. His arms were crossed, and he was leaning back in his chair as he waited for the time to go by.

Turning my head to the right, I noticed one of Tyler's friends staring at me. The moment my eyes met his, he dropped his gaze. I thought that must've had something to do with him seeing me with Jett. Maybe all the harassment was going to stop. I could only hope.

"Two minutes," the teacher called from behind his desk.

Planting my elbow on my desk, I rested my head on my hand and spent the remaining minutes thinking about what I was going to do when I got home. The previous night—even that morning—I had been determined to create some distance between Jett and me, but after the incident outside the classroom, I wanted anything but that. Then I remembered my stitches. They needed to come out, but something deep inside me that I didn't understand was telling me to keep quiet and talk to Jett about it first.

"All right, class, put your pens down and turn your papers over." The teacher walked around the room, collecting the exam papers.

Once he returned to his desk, he dismissed us, and everyone piled out of the room. I was the last one to leave, and I expected to see Jett waiting outside for me, but he wasn't. So much for his possessiveness. It must have all been in my imagination.

My next exam wasn't until after lunch, so I had a few hours to kill. If I'd had my car, I could've gotten away from school, but without it, I was stuck. I pulled out my phone, scrolled through my recent call list, and found Jett's number. I decided a text would be best—less personal.

Where's my car?

While I waited for a response, I opened the last message from Lilly and sent her a text. Are you still at school?

As soon as I hit Send, my phone beeped with a message from Jett. In the car park.

And my keys?

He replied almost immediately: Behind you.

I turned around and was met by a smiling Jett standing only inches away from me. My heart started beating faster as I inhaled his godly scent.

"Didn't think I'd forget about you, did you?"

"No," I lied.

He slung an arm over my shoulder. "So how'd it go?"

"I don't know, but at least I finished this one."

"I'm sure you did great." He started leading me out to the car. "Do you want to go out for lunch somewhere?"

"As nice as that sounds, I've got another exam this afternoon that I should be studying for."

"Come on. It'll only be for an hour at most."

"Since you put it like that... okay."

"Seriously?" He laughed. "I thought I would've had to work a bit harder than that."

I shrugged. "I've already failed one exam, so it's not as if I've got a chance of getting into my course now, anyway."

He pulled out my keys and clicked the unlock button. "You might be surprised."

He opened the passenger door and helped me inside, even though I no longer needed any assistance. Walking around the front of the car, he looked around as if expecting someone to jump out of the bushes. Maybe he was worried that Tyler's friends were going to come back for revenge. But Jett didn't strike me as the type to be afraid of anyone. And those guys would have to be pretty stupid to take on the son of a drug lord. It was practically a death wish. And yet there I was, about to go out to lunch with him. What the hell was wrong with me? Two weeks ago, I would've laughed if someone told me that I would have a thing for such a dangerous guy.