Chapter 18

Jett pulled into my garage, a grin still playing on his lips. I was far from amused. All I wanted to do was go inside, lock the door, and refuse him entry to my house.

Before I got out, I remembered that he needed to explain something. "You haven't told me why you're the one who changed my clothes."

That wiped the smile off his face. He wouldn't even look at me.

"What? Has the cat got your tongue?"

"It's not—"

"What it seems? Yeah, nothing seems to be what it seems with you."

His grip tightened around the steering wheel until his knuckles whitened. I thought he was going to break the thing in half. I was sure his eyes had turned black, but he faced away from me before I could be sure. He loosened his vise-like grip on the wheel, got out of the car, and slammed the door.

I could feel anger radiating from him, but I didn't understand why. I had a right to know why he had taken off my clothes. If he wasn't going to tell me, then I was going to find some way to get the truth. I opened the door and got out, only half noticing that the pain was really minor.

Jett was standing in my front yard, his hands resting on the balustrade fence. He heard me shut the car door and spun around. He rushed to my side and, without saying anything, put his arm around me.

Inside the house, he asked, "Do you want to go upstairs?"

I nodded. The trip upstairs jarred my chest with every step, bringing back some of the pain. In my room, he practically dumped me on the bed then headed for the door.

I stared at his retreating back. "You're just going to leave me here?"

He stopped and turned around with a grin. "Do you need Nurse Lomazzo's help getting changed again?"

I felt a mixture of humiliation and anger. I knew he was trying to avoid my questions by embarrassing me, and as much as I hated it, it worked.

Jett laughed. "Let me know if you change your mind. Nurse Lomazzo's always happy to help." He winked then left the room.

Flopping down on my bed, I willed myself to calm down. I couldn't believe how I could be so infuriated by a guy, then the moment he smiled, my heart did all kinds of crazy things. I wanted to knock the lustful thoughts from my brain.

Wanting to see what he was up to downstairs, I turned on the TV and flicked to the security camera in the lounge room. Jett was sitting on the couch, his head in his hands. About a minute later, he picked up his phone and put it to his ear. He didn't seem to talk much, and he looked troubled by the conversation. I made a mental note to tell Dad to have audio added to the security system.

After hanging up the phone, Jett rubbed the back of his neck. He stood up, and I wondered if he was coming upstairs to apologise, but he detoured to the front door. I hadn't heard the doorbell, so the person must have knocked.

He opened the door to a leggy woman in her early twenties. She had long blond hair and big boobs overflowing from her top. My wound felt as though it had ripped open when she stepped forward—as close as her boobs would allow—and kissed him right beside his mouth. She allowed her lips to linger, obviously waiting for him to do something.

Jett put his hands on her hips and... pushed her away. I wished there was a rewind button, so I could make sure I hadn't hallucinated the move, but by the look on the girl's face, I had absolutely seen correctly.

He cocked his head toward the open door and said something to her. The greasy look on her face said she didn't like what she was hearing. She turned around and walked out. I was so relieved that I wanted to jump up and down and do a happy dance.