Chapter 23

Friday had always been my favourite day of the week, but having it also be the last day of school topped every other Friday in my life. Thirteen years of what at most times felt like torture was going to be over in a few hours.

The principal stood on the stage at the front of the hall, giving us our last lecture on how our lives would change after we left the room that day. He told us when we could expect our year-twelve results and how proud he and the staff were of us and our accomplishments. I zoned out, thinking about how I couldn't wait to see my friends from Sydney. Even though I would be celebrating Schoolies with Lilly, my real celebration wouldn't be until my Sydney friends arrived next week.

Lilly leaned over and whispered, "How much longer do you think he's going to go on?"

I shrugged. "Does he usually talk this much?"

"Yep. He loves the sound of his own voice." She tapped my knee and pointed to my right.

The guy in the row in front of us had fallen asleep. His head was hanging forward, and saliva had started to pool at the edges of his lips.

"That's so gross."

"But funny."

The guy started leaning farther and farther forward in his chair. Then he was startled awake just before he almost face-planted on the floor. Lilly and I both started snickering.

"Hey, what time do you want to check in to the hotel?" she asked, trying to stifle another giggle.

Schoolies didn't officially start until Saturday, but everyone was checking in on Friday. School was over, and no one wanted to wait that extra day.

"Jett has a surprise for me after this, but I think we'll be ready by about three. I've given the hotel your name, so you can check in earlier if you want."

"Cool. The sooner I can get away from Mum, the better. I've so had enough of her slave driving."

She wasn't the only one who was glad to finally get a parent off her back. My father wasn't there to make me study, but his threat of a babysitter was probably worse.

I smirked. "And order anything you want. It's the least my father can do, considering he hasn't even called me to congratulate me or anything."

She raised an eyebrow but didn't say anything.

Forty minutes later, we were finally free.

"I am so not going to miss this place," Lilly said, eyeing Tyler and his friends as they walked ahead of us and exited the hall.

I still didn't know what had actually happened between Lilly and those guys, but I was hoping to get her to talk about it during Schoolies. Having a few drinks usually loosened up a girl, and maybe she would start talking. And never having to face them at school again might also be an incentive.

Stepping out into the bright sunlight was like being reborn. I was officially an adult—no more having to listen to my father and no more threats of a babysitter.

"Congratulations," Jett said, wrapping his arms around my waist and lifting me into the air. He hugged me before putting me back down. He looked over at Lilly. "Congrats to you, too, Lilly."

"Thanks," she said, her cheeks turning rosy.

We stepped to the side to get out of the flood of students.

"Do you want a lift home?" I asked Lilly.

She looked at Jett. "Don't you have something planned?"