Chapter 2 Memories

Natalie

~~~

"So you're a king? Like with a big crown and everything?" I ask. Thranduil, king of the forest my parents call him, chuckles.

"Yes little one a crown and all that. I didn't bring it with me because I'm on vacation from being king," he replies. I tilt my head confused.

"Kings can take vacation days?"

"Of course they can. You just need to leave someone responsible in charge," he says.

"I see. Then your wife, Eleni, she's a queen," I conclude.

"Yes a very beautiful one too don't you agree?" he inquires with a grin. I nod rapidly. Eleni is pretty and nice.

~~~

"Thranduil I have a proposition for you," I announce strolling into the barn. Mama told me not to walk in unannounced but I need to make a point.

"Yes little Natalie?" Thranduil says sticking his head out from the loft.

"I would like to be your advisor. I'm smart, logical, and good at negotiations," I boast. I hear a giggle from the loft. That must be Eleni.

"Sure you can be my advisor little one. You just need to get a little older," Thranduil agrees and I beam.

"Good. I'll go start studying more now," I state and walk purposefully out.

~~~

"So little one you wish to be my advisor. There are certain things you must know in that case," Thranduil muses the afternoon after my proposal. We sit playing chess and I'm winning.

"Yes like your laws on marriage, soulmates, equality, consequences to crimes, your political friends and enemies, as well as many other critical things to how you run your kingdom," I rattle off. "So tell me."

"You're very intelligent for a young hobbit aren't you?" Thranduil chuckles and I stare at him blankly. He clears his throat and smiles sheepishly. "Right then. Our laws are old I admit. We have marriage allowed between any two people but if they aren't soulmates there is a long process to go through. Our laws on equality have been made new since the Bloodlust family has finally been taken down."

"Who was the Bloodlust family?"

"A radical family that went on murder sprees against dark haired and dark eyes elves. They were destroyed mysteriously by a large wolf animal. They had two daughters one they killed because she was dark haired and dark eyes the other I rescued. She now works as my assassin in the guard," Thranduil explains and I nod in understanding.

"So that means all are equal now?" I ask and he nods. "Good. Now continue."

"Soulmates are bound to each other if both bear each other's names-"

"What?! They are a million loopholes in that law! What about name carving?" I snap and Thranduil blanches. All hobbits learn about caving at a young age so we can prevent it.