Chapter 11 Preparations

Natalie

~~~

"Let me guess it went horribly," I conclude with a bored look as Bard returns. His face gives it all away, not like we all already knew how it would play out.

"He will give us nothing," Bard confirms. He looks crestfallen. He truly did want to avoid war.

"Such a pity. But still you tried," Thranduil says with a hint of sarcasm in his voice. I give him a nasty side eye in response.

"I do not understand. Why? Why would he risk war?" Bard asks desperately.

"Dragon sickness does that to dwarves...and men," Smaug answers.

"It is fruitless to reason with them. They understand only one thing," Thranduil mutters and draws his sword. "We attack at dawn."

My eyes widen as his words sink in. If there was even a shred of hope before it's now gone.

"Are you with us?" Bard looks up at Thranduil and gives a half nod.

"Wait what?!" I sputter. I wasn't expecting him to go violent so quickly. "No! Thranduil there is no point in that!"

He ignores me and turns the elk around to head back into the ruined city. Bard follows him with his head bent down.

"Thranduil! You listen to me! Don't do this!" I shout. "If you're willing to go to war over gold you're just as bad as them!"

My yells don't waiver them.

"Natalie I don't think their listening," Smaug murmurs and reaches out to touch my shoulder. I step out his his reach and fume.

"I can't believe this is happening. Thranduil is being such a fool!"

"Natalie we need to warn the dwarves," Smaug points out gently.

"We need to stop Thranduil and Bard," I counter. There's a long pause of silence before I let out a sigh. "I'll stop my king, can you talk to the dwarves?"

"I'd do anything for you," Smaug replies and gives a slight bow.

"Smaug you're too sweet to me. Seriously one of these days it might hurt you," I mutter and reach up to pat his cheek, though he has to bend down so I can reach. "But thank you. Now go." Smaug smiles and shoots into the air with one wing swipe. I grin and shake my head.

For an all powerful dragon he can be such a dope.

"Now for Thranduil," I utter and take off running after his snootiness.

~~~

"Bard please listen to me. At Least try to reason with Thranduil. He seems to listen to you more than me," I plead and grab the mans arm. I followed them back to Dale and tried to talk to Thranduil again, I was shot down. Now I've turned to Bard who has his men suiting up for war.

"I've tried little hobbit but it'd take a miracle to talk your king out of his decision," Bard replies. "Believe me o want to avoid a fight as much as you."

"Then why help Thranduil fight? Why participate?" I snap angrily.

"Because we need allies and I can't risk losing Thranduil as an ally. He brought my men food, medical assistance, and clothes. I need him," Bard explains and I feel a stab of sorrow for him. His words, there is a personal note to them.