Chapter 30 It Was Real

Bilbo

~~~

Slowly I gain consciousness and the first thing I see is the eagles.

"The eagles are coming," I whisper and hold my head. I sit up and look around.

Thoring is walking with shaky legs to the edge of the icy fall and Allie is on her knees looking completely ragged.

~~~

Allie

~~~

I watch as Thorin collapses to the hard ground. I instantly crawl to his side and look him over with teary eyes.

"Allie." He reaches up to cup my face but I push his hand down.

"No, don't look. Don't move. Lie still," I order gently and gingerly touch his wound. "Oh Thorin."

"I'm glad you're here," Thorin whispers.

"Shh, shh, shh, shh..." I hiss and try to apply pressure to his wound. There's so much blood and I don't need to see the wound to know how bad it is. I can feel it in my own chest.

"I wish to part from you in friendship. Words cannot express how sorry I am."

"No, you are not going anywhere, Thorin, you're going to live," I state and desperately try to swallow a sob.

This can't be happening, it can't be happening.

"I would take back my words and my deeds at the gate. You did what only a true soulmate would do. Forgive me. I was too blind to see. I am so sorry that I have led you into such peril-" he starts choking with pain making me flinch. I quickly take his hand and soak in his pain.

"No, I...I'm glad to have shared in your perils, Thorin. Each and every one of them. It is far more than I deserve," I mumble making Thorin smile at me.

"I wished to make you my queen, to never part from your side."

"I know Thorin, I know."

"Farewell, Mistress Burglar. Go back to your Grace and your home. Plant your flowers, watch them grow. If more people valued family above gold, this world would be a merrier place." Thorin takes a harboring breath and stares at me with teary eyes. I can feel our bond fading and it breaks my heart. "Never forget how I love you."

With that his eyes fall shut.

"No! No, no, no, no! No! Thorin! Thorin, don't you dare die!" He lies terribly still and I can't feel his heart anymore. "We've come to far for you to die Thorin! Thorin? Look, Thorin. Thorin, hold on. You hold on. You see, the Eagles...the Eagles, the Eagles are here. Thorin...the Eag..." My words are severed by my crushing sobs.

It wasn't supposed to end like this.

"Thorin you can't do this to me. You just can't!" I cup his face and shake his slightly. "Wake up! Please just do one last thing for me, one last miracle, don't be," the word does in my throat but I manage to whisper it out. "Dead."

~~~

Grace

~~~

"Legolas? Legolas don't worry I'll take care of you," I promise and press my trembling hands to his chest.

"D-don't cry Grace," he chokes out. I cover my eyes with my hands and wipe my tears.