Chapter 5 Reuniting

Alex

~~~

Finally we make it to the Lonely Mountain a day after the destruction of Laketown only to find it in ruins. Kili, Bofur, Oin, Emily, and Fili sprint in. I'm surprised the injury in our legs doesn't hold him back.

Lacy, Natalie, Smaug, and I more cautiously enter behind the dwarves.

Inside the destroyed main entrance there is no one.

"Hello! Bombur? Bifur? Anybody?" Bofur shouts.

"Uncle!" Kili yells.

"Sam!" Emily calls.

"Wait! Wait!" Bilbo shouts dashing up and holding his hands up frantically. Sam and Jacob follow behind it.

"It's Bilbo. He's alive!" Bofur declares. Sam ignores him and embraces Emily.

"Stop! Stop! Stop! You need to leave. We all need to leave," Bilbo hisses. I raise an eyebrow at his worry.

"We only just fucking got here," I state.

"I tried talking to him, but he won't listen," Bilbo adds explaining absolutely nothing.

"Wh...what do you mean, laddie?" Oin inquires. Everyone now seems worried.

"Thorin! Thorin. Thorin, he's been down there for days. He doesn't sleep, he barely eats. He's not been himself, not at all. It's this...it's this place. I think a sickness lies upon it," Bilbo whispers tersely. He looks genuinely worried.

"A sickness? What kind of sickness?" Lacy asks and Smaug shuffles his feet.

"A dragon sickness. A sickness of greed," Smaug explains. Fili ignores Bilbo's warning and runs past Jacob into the mountain.

"Fili? Fili!" Bilbo exclaims. Emily follows Fili so naturally we all have to follow in suit.

Through long halls and down stairs we chase until Fili stops and stares. Piles upon piles of gold shine through the large room and in the middle Thorin paces amongst it. I gasp in surprise upon seeing all the precious metals. Smaug looks sick, Natalie uninterested, Lacy curious, Emily shocked, and Bilbo worried. Sam and Jacob just shrug they've seen it before.

"Gold. Gold beyond measure, beyond sorrow and grief," Thorin rumbles to himself before noticing us watching.

"That is a fucking lot of gold," I mutter.

"Behold, the great treasure hoard of Thrór," Thorin booms and tosses a ruby to Fili. "Welcome, my sister sons, to the Kingdom of Erebor."

~~~

Alex

~~~

"Balin! " Bofur cheers and hugs he old dwarf.

"Bofur!" Dwalin greets and head butts him.

"Kili!" Bifur shouts.

"Bifur!" Kili returns and embraces him. More happy cries, head butts, and hugs follow.