Chapter 34 Legolas Greenleaf

Grace

~~~

For the second day in a row I am dressed in black only this time my face is veiled. Thranduil wears black robes and no crown. The rest of the company and all the living elves in Greenwood all wear black and dark green in honor of Legolas.

"It is time," Thranduil utters and I turn from the mirror. I hold Legolas's bow, daggers, and silver circlet in my hands. He is to be buried with them as per elven tradition.

"Yes, of course," I murmur and follow my king from his royal tent.

Outside Thranduil's tent, in Dale a funeral procession awaits.

Tauriel and Feren are waiting beside his glass casket for us.

Allie is watching me with glassy eyes, she's waiting for me to break, everyone is.

I inhale deeply and lift my black veil to reveal my face and the crown attached to the veil. The guests all now their heads to Thranduil and I.

Kneeling down I gently lift Legolas's head and place the circlet upon his head. With quivering hands I put his bow and daggers into his cold grip.

The elven morticians fix up and clothe the bodies so that all the elves can be buried in glass cases. Legolas is wearing his tradition warrior garment and now he holds his weapons.

Thranduil and I give nods of recognition to the crowd and bend down to take the side handles on Legolas's casket. Tauriel and Feren bend down and take the back two handles themselves.

Together we lift the enclosed body of my soulmate.

The band begins a dreary song and the procession march begins.

We, the casket bearers, lead the march towards Greenwood. Behind us stand the the company, behind them citizens of Greenwood, Lakemem, and a few dwarves.

Minutes into the procession the elves begin to sing a lament for Legolas.

They sing of him fighting valiantly in battle, of his compassion, of his wisdom, but his life was worth more than songs. Even still the words weigh on my heart and anyone who understands the elvish. When elves sing their magic bleeds into the words. It makes sad songs agonizing and happy songs jovial.

The casket weighs on my shoulders like no other burden in this world could.

Looking over I see Thranduil, he looks ragged and distraught. If he was not carrying Legolas's casket I image he would collapse with grief, but he mustn't drop his child.

It takes an hour, that feels like days, for us to arrive at the Greenwood sanctuary.

Next to the queens grace there is an opening in the ground and a statue erected of Legolas.

My sister is not far off and her statue seems to glower at me. I have failed my loved one yet again.

Gingerly I help lower Legolas into the ground. Once he's settled I rest a hand on the case and murmur the elvish spell of sealing. The spell will keep his body preserved and safe for all time.

Thranduil stands and faces the crowd, his face gives away all his sadness. I can already see the grey tinting his skin, he is fading away. I cannot even begin to guess what is he going to say.

"Legolas is-was my only son. He was my light in the darkest of times after his mother passed. He shouldn't have-" Thranduil's voice cracks and drowns out his words. "He shouldn't have died so young. He should have lived to be a good king, a better one that I will ever be. I would have lived to see him marry, have children, and usher this kingdom into a new age. But-" Thranduil stops suddenly for a solid minute before speaking again. "But he is dead and all things soft, beautiful, and bright in my life are buried with him." Thranduil goes silent and bows his head, it is my turn to speak.

Stoically I pull a crumpled piece of parchment from my pocket, I wrote everything down so as not to forget the words in grief.

~~~

Sam

~~~

"I met Legolas when his father recruited me as a private guard, we instantly knew we were soulmates. I was hesitant to get to know him, having just lost my sister, but he was understanding and kind. I didn't want to fall in love with him, not at all...but at some point he smiled at me like I was the sun and I blew it. We fell in love and it was perfect."

Graces words are mechanical and emotionless. She is not allowing herself to feel this sorrow.

Grace looks down at Legolas and a tear falls from her eye.

"I-I...I don't want to miss him, I don't want to miss him like this. If I think about how he's gone, even for a second, I'll break," she confesses suddenly. Grace turns her back to the crowd and falls to her knees. "You told me not to cry, but Legolas this feeling is overwhelming, it is stronger than I am."

"I know Grace, I am sorry to leave you."

I yank my head up and my gaze lands on a wavering form of Legolas standing next to Grace.

He is still here, his spirit is not at peace.

"Legolas do you not know a shadow cannot exist without a light? Your light is dead, am I too die with you? Legolas I'm not sure I can hold on."

"Grace you mustn't fade!"

"My love for you shall love forever but you, you have not."

I watch Legolas with wide eyes, totally unsure what to do. I cannot tell Grace nor anyone, they must grieve and move on.

"Death didn't happen to you Legolas! Death happened to all the people standing here at your funeral wondering how the hell we're going to love the rest of our lives without you in them!" Grace stands abruptly with her fists clenched and turns back to the crowd.

They all weep and wail.

"Why do they weep, did they think I was immortal?"

It's a foolish question that almost makes me answer him, but I hold my tongue. If I speak to him before Grace she would react awfully.

"Rest in peace my soulmate, my captain, my prince."

With that she turns and storms from the funeral site. Allie sprints after her without a word.

The procession lingers for many minutes longer, all give their apologies to Thranduil.

Legolas stands beside his father with a somber look playing on his face.

It is then I notice the faint tether from me to him, he has tied his spirit to me.

Steeling myself for a shock I walk up behind Legolas and reach out to grab him.

My hand catches his arm, I can touch him.

Legolas whips around a look of surprise playing on his face. I hold a finger to my lips and gesture to the woods. He nods in understanding and we slink away.

Once out of earshot I let out a frustrated groan.

"Legolas why have you tied yourself to me? Why have you not found peace!?"

"I am not sure," he mumbles with furrowed eyebrows. "I suppose I have unfinished business but I do not know how I have tied myself to you."

My anger and shock softens into relief and worry. I am glad to see the elf again but I worry about him or passing on.

"I am glad you can see me, I have been lonely," he confesses. "It pains me greatly to see my father and Grace in such agony."

"Legolas they will get past this, right now all seems bleak but the light will find its way back, it always does."