Chapter 24 Stand Off

Grace

~~~

"Grace a bright flying girl just flew across the sky. Allie has returned!" Legolas cheers and I give him a blank look. I fought in a blind rage after hearing about Allie and that won't change. I will not let myself hope till I see her blue smiling eyes again.

"Legolas that may not be her. I know you're trying to cheer me up but you won't be able to so stop trying," I grumble and pull my dagger from a dead orcs eye.

"Grace you have to allow yourself some hope. Can't you feel the emptiness I'm your heart filling? Can't you feel her?" I look him dead in the eyes and swallow thickly. The truth is I don't know what I feel.

"Right now all I feel and see is the bodies of our kin," I answer blatantly. Dead elves are lying everywhere.

Nearby I see Thranduil has been thinking the same. He looks utterly distraught at all the death.

Legolas takes my hand and together we approach his father.

"Recall your company," Thranduil orders to Feren. Feren is a second in command guard elf. He holds up a horn and blows it loudly. I watch as he sounds it twice more calling for a full retreat.

"We can't retreat Legolas. We must go to Ravenhill," I mutter.

"My Lord, disperse this force to Ravenhill, the Dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned!" Gandalf calls jogging up.

"He is right Thranduil. My partner is up there," I add. Alex is in special danger considering she is now as vulnerable as Kili.

"By all means, warn him. I've spent enough Elvish blood in defense of this accursed land. No more!" Thranduil snaps and storms off to gather his remaining men.

"Thranduil?"

"My father has a point. Grace and I can go warn the dwarf king but no more elves will fall to this," Legolas states firmly.

"I'll go to," Bilbo pipes up.

"Don't be ridiculous, you'll never make it," Gandalf snaps at Bilbo.

"You doubt his protection," Jacob says in a low voice stepping up to us. Sam must be off beheading orcs.

"Exactly, so why not?" Bilbo asks and crosses his arms. He's frowning and tapping his foot angrily. I've learned from experience one should not doubt hobbits...especially not Allie.

"Because they will see you coming, and kill you!" Gandalf exclaims incredulously. He looks very frustrated.

"No, they won't. They won't kill me, I
have some of Middle Earths best fighters coming with me!" Bilbo argues and stomps.

"It's out of the question. I won't allow it," Gandalf remarks sternly. How patronizing of him.

"I'm not asking you to allow it, Gandalf," Bilbo counters and turns to leave. I sheath my daggers and grab my bow. Legolas does the same and gives my hand a squeeze of support.

Off to Ravenhill we go.

~~~

Natalie

~~~

I heard the horn and I saw the retreat begin but I don't see Tauriel or Lacy anywhere.

With slow feet I shuffle to where I heard the horn coming from. I try my hardest to avoid looking at the bodies in the streets.

"Your king has called his soldiers back," Smaug states walking behind me. "Why?"

"Thranduil hates to lose soldiers," I reply.

"She doesn't seem happy about it." I loom up to see Smaug pointing at a very frazzled and miffed Tauriel. She's carrying an unconscious bleeding Lacy. Tauriel is glaring at Thranduil and standing before his exit.

"What the hell is she doing?! Smaug please go take Lacy from her and get her to the Great Hall. I'll deal with this," I grumble and dash forward to face Thranduil and Tauriel.

"You will go no further," Tauriel orders darkly. Smaug sneaks up behind her and whispers something in her ear. Tauriel willingly hands Lacy over and Smaug instantaneously flys Lacy to safety. "You will not turn away. Not this time."

"Get out of my way," Thranduil demands coldly. The light has left his eyes completely. Despite my fear I continue to walk forward.

"The Dwarves will be slaughtered," Tauriel hisses. Lacy must have made her grow fond of the company.

"Yes, they will die. Today, tomorrow, one year hence, a hundred years from now. What does it matter? They are mortal," Thranduil argues and my heart clenches. So that's his true thoughts on all other races.

"I thought I meant more to you," I say simply and stand by Tauriel. "I suppose in war all secrets are exposed." Thranduil looks at me with shock and a small glimmer of regret.

Suddenly Tauriel has her bow aimed at Thranduils head.

"You think your life is worth more than theirs, while there is no love in it? There is no love in you," Tauriel states coldly and glares at him. Thranduils sates no time with striking her bow with his sword in pure rage. Her bow breaks in to and he points his sword at her neck.

"Thranduil don't do this," I advise tersely.

"What do you know of love? Nothing. What you feel for that elf is not real. You think it is love? Are you ready to die for it?" Thranduil threatens and holds his sword closer. In a blur Legolas stands before her and hits his fathers sword. Him, Grace, and Bilbo have run up to us. They seem to have someplace to be.

"If you harm her you will have to kill me," Legolas growls.

"Tauriel we will go with you," Grace offers and tugs Tauriel away from Thranduil and his retreating army. I watch them go while taking deep breathes to attempt at calming myself.

"Do you have some treason to say as well?" Thranduil questions angrily.

"Not to say. I do have an act to commit," I respond and grab his armor tanking his face down to my height. "You have betrayed me and I will not let that stand." With a scowl on my face and before her has time to react I smack him straight across the face.