Chapter 10

During dessert-homemade apple pie-Judy invites me to see a movie the next night. Frankly, I'm amazed she's still speaking to me after I acted like such an idiot. But I tell her I'd like to go.

"Thanks for inviting me over, Judy," I say, as I prepare to leave. At least I've remembered a basic rule of etiquette.

"How are you getting home?" Judy asks.

"I'll call my Mom. She'll pick me up."

"Are you sure? My Mom could give you a ride."

I briefly consider asking Mrs. Lee for a ride home, but I acted so rude at dinner. I'm embarrassed to ask.

"My mom will come. What's your address?"

"We don't have one," Judy says. "Our mail goes to a post office box." I put my hand up. "Got it covered. I'll pick an easy spot for her to find." I figure I'll cross the dirt road, backtrack through the woods and meet her at the nearest corner.

I thank Mrs. Lee for her hospitality. She stops doing the dishes and wipes her hands on a towel.

"Portia," she says, bending over and placing a hand on my arm. "It was very nice to meet you. Are you sure I can't give you a ride home?"

"That's okay." I'd do anything to avoid the uncomfortable silence between us during the long ride.

She nods, as if she understands. "I really am glad you stayed for dinner. Judy doesn't bring a lot of friends over. So, feel free to come by anytime, okay?"

• • •

I leave Judy's house and cross the dirt path. Through the woods I go to the dead-end street. I call my mom. We arrange to meet at the nearest intersection. I figure I'll pick a house and tell her that's where Judy lives. No harm, no foul, right?

Ten minutes later, Mom pulls up in her Subaru wagon. I get in.

"Which one is your friend's house?" I point to the blue house on the corner. 5151 Dixie Hill Circle is painted on the mailbox. I stow the information for future reference. How hard is that?

My Mom peers at the house. "Hmm. Why are all the lights out?"

One glance tells me she's right. I hadn't even noticed. The gig is up.

I recover. "Everyone went to the store," I lie. "I think they had to pick up something from the pharmacy."

"Mom shrugs and pulls away from the curb.

I breathe a sigh of relief, but I think, That's it? No more questions?

"By the way," she says, negotiating a left turn onto the main road, "a girl called the house looking for you. She sounded frantic."

"Who?" I can't begin to imagine.

"Denise, I think."

Oh, my God! I never gave Denise my cell phone number. She must be desperate to have tracked me down at home.

"Don't you remember Denise?" I say. "Yesterday I went to the mall with her and a couple of her friends."

Mom slaps her forehead. "Oh, of course. I thought that name sounded familiar." Her nervous laugh sounds fake.

Yeah, right.

We ride home in silence.