Chapter 54

I take my time crossing the lawn toward Mindy and Tara.

"What's going on?" Mindy demands. "What were you all doing in there?"

"That's none of your business." She raises a hand to her cheek, as if I've slapped her.

For a moment, Tara stares at me like I'm nuts. Then, her expression morphs into one of glee.

Mindy's face reddens. "I've known Denise much longer than you. Who are you to tell me what's my business and what isn't?"

"If Denise wanted you to know, she'd have invited you in." Mindy gawks at me. Wow, what a comeback.

She turns to Tara, who returns her gaze with innocent eyes.

Mindy turns for the house. "Fine. I'm going inside to find out what's up."

"You might want to think about that first."

Mindy pauses and gives me the once-over. "Why?" Her voice could freeze hot cocoa.

"They're discussing personal business."

Mindy gets in my face until our noses almost touch. "And I'm her best friend."

And this is the dumbest conversation ever. "Fine. Do what you want," I say. "But don't blame me, if she isn't happy to see you."

"You're jealous, because you wish Denise was your real friend."

"What would you know about that?" I say. "You have no idea what it means to be a real friend."

"Ha! Right." Mindy turns to Tara. "I'm going inside. Come on."

"No," Tara says, in a firm voice. "Leave them alone."

Mindy's face darkens and her eyes flash. "I don't believe this. What's your problem?"

"I'm tired of taking orders from you."

This whole situation is so crazy, I feel like I'm starring in Bizarro World.

Mindy stares Tara down. "So, you think you're in charge now?"

"No. Nobody's in charge. Not you or Denise. You're not the boss of me."

Tara says this without hesitation. Mindy says nothing, but her eyes reveal confusion.

Then Mindy snaps out of it. "Okay. So both of you are jealous. I'll leave you two alone, while I go check on my friend." She takes a few steps then pivots. "I hope you're happy, you freak." She turns on her heel and heads for the house.

"So long and good luck," I mutter before turning my attention to Tara. "What?"

"I've never argued with Mindy. Ever. This is the first time."

"And probably long overdue," I say. I've noticed how Tara kowtows to Mindy. "I'm sorry if I'm causing trouble, but I consider Denise a friend. And I don't think she and Randy want company at the moment."

"Don't you see what her problem is?" Tara says. "Mindy's so jealous of Denise and Randy, she'll do anything to break them up."

Oh, my God. Now it all makes sense.

"Did Mindy lie to Denise about seeing Randy with Kathleen?"

Tara shrugs. "Not lie exactly. Mindy hinted to Denise that Randy might be seeing Kathleen. We're the only ones who know about Denise's plan to spy on Randy. Ever wonder why? Because Mindy practically arranged it. I think she wanted to be the one to spy on Randy. Because I think she wanted to steal him. For years she's wanted to take Denise's place as most popular girl.

Now, I understand why Denise is so unhappy. This goes well beyond her home life. What kind of friend would do that to you? Being the most popular girl is much harder than I had imagined.

Mindy reaches the front door, and Denise and Randy come out. Denise doesn't waste a second. "I want you to leave now, Mindy." Her voice rings loud and clear. Side by side, Denise and Randy march toward us.

"Hey! Don't ignore me." Mindy's voice quivers. "Don't I get a chance to explain?"

Denise stops and addresses Mindy. "Haven't you done enough? You've lied to me for ages. You use me. What kind of friend does that?"

I'm replaying my decision to help Denise. Was I any better? Maybe Mindy has a reason for her behavior? So many questions. Maybe we're all assuming things about Mindy and then not checking on our assumptions. God knows, my assumptions about Denise were wrong.