Chapter 42

"I can't believe you're not angry with me. I'm angry with me!" He holds the door and we go in. Randy shakes his head. "You're hopeless, but you're all right for a girl."

Whoa! That's almost a compliment.

I follow Randy to the receptionist's desk. She is still pretty. And I can't remember her name to save my life.

Having no reason for a disguise, I've stuffed the itchy blonde wig in my backpack and tucked my blue-streaked hair under my ball cap. For the moment, dark glasses still cover my pink eyes.

"Hi, Monica," Randy says. "This is my friend, Portia. She's my guest today."

Monica's gazes at me. I see recognition in her eyes.

I fake a laugh. "Hi, Monica. Remember me?"

Monica's face looks pinched. "Isn't your name Sandy?"

"Nope."

You must have me mistaken for a really stupid liar. Randy steps in. "Oh, that. That was my mistake. Portia looks like a girl I know named Cindy. When I mentioned Cindy, I was wrong. It was really Portia."

Monica looks incredulous. The corners of her mouth turn up slightly. "I see."

I'll bet.

• • •

We sign in. I follow Randy down the hall and bump into Mr. Robinson leaving his office.

"Hello, Randy."

Randy turns and waves. "Hey, Mr. Robinson."

I'm ready to have a heart attack.

"Who's your friend?" Mr. Robinson asks.

Keep going, Randy. Please keep going. "This is Portia, my friend from school."

"Really?" I turn and look up at him. He's very tall and he's wearing that same old brown suit again. "My, my. Your name is Portia? We weren't properly introduced last time, were we?"

I shake my head. "No, sir."

Mr. Robinson chuckles. "You should have told me you knew Randy from school. I know some of Randy's friends. One in particular I know quite well."

I look at Randy who shrugs.

"Mr. Robinson," Randy says. "I have to go now. It's nice to see you."

"Nice to see you, too, Randy. And you, Portia." Great big smile.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Robinson." I bare my teeth at him.